Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Endpoint Protection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hi

My Lappy is a Hp 430

Our College has given us the lappy and symantec endpoint protection for free
Now the thing is Symantec does not automatically scan pen drives
Its quite light its not intrusive but the problem is it shows the latest updates 1 day earlier

It tells me the system is up to date i.e. i used Norton at it updates it self after 30 minutes so is symantec endpoint not updating properly

Also it does not automatically scan pen drives
and most suprisingly A threat on a pendrive has to be executed for Symantec endpoint to detect and resolve it.....

Although my system is clean and we are behind the college firewall their is still the problem of pen drive infection

Is their any way to make Symantec Endpoint Auto Scan pendrives or should I change the Antivirus

My college is giving it for free so please don`t ask me to change to one of the paid ones
Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here is Symantec's official response to the lack of flashdrive/pendrive auto scanning in their Enterprise Endpoint product.

Does Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec Antivirus Scan USB flash drives?

if any infections/threats present on the USB drive attempt to access or modify any of the content on the system it would be detected. The detection mechanism within File System Auto-Protect ensures safety from threats present on the USB drives.

Plus you are able to manually scan after inserting the drive as well.

Only you are able to decide if this level of protection is something you can live with.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

What would you do??

I can`t really make a choice but I definitely don`t want ramnit/virut in my system
Midou

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

We cannot make choices for you as everyone (their knowledge, skills, ability, etc) is different and the system (OS, security protection, software, etc) they use are different. We can only provide information to members so they can make an informed decision.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

ok Well Then I well Keep Endpoint
I think it has a few extra features that some freebie can`t provide
and also Its from Norton which has a good "REPUTATION"
Midou

#6 symthomas

symthomas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi

My Lappy is a Hp 430

Our College has given us the lappy and symantec endpoint protection for free
Now the thing is Symantec does not automatically scan pen drives
Its quite light its not intrusive but the problem is it shows the latest updates 1 day earlier

It tells me the system is up to date i.e. i used Norton at it updates it self after 30 minutes so is symantec endpoint not updating properly

Also it does not automatically scan pen drives
and most suprisingly A threat on a pendrive has to be executed for Symantec endpoint to detect and resolve it.....

Although my system is clean and we are behind the college firewall their is still the problem of pen drive infection

Is their any way to make Symantec Endpoint Auto Scan pendrives or should I change the Antivirus

My college is giving it for free so please don`t ask me to change to one of the paid ones

There is a problem with auto-scanning a Pen or USB drive. SEP would start the scan, and you would have your system performance drop for as long as it takes to scan the device. The larger the drive, the longer performance is impacted.

What SEP does is detect the threat when it's executed or copied, so there is no performance hit to your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users