Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BabylonToolbar and Other Extensions in about:config

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 help124

help124

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have been having problems with my computer memory getting real high until Firefox crashes. Even with only 3 open tabs. I started looking in my about:config files and found - extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.aflt - with about 8 other entries with the same name but different endings listed. Also there is a file - extensions.artur.dubovoy@gmail.com.install-event-fired - which I think is a bug of some sort. I have run AVG Antivirus Free, Spybot Search and Destroy, and IObit Malware Fighter 1.5, but none of them have helped. They never find anything. Is there anyone out there that knows how to safely get rid of this? I am running FireFox 14.0.1 on windows XP - There are a few other entries in about:config I think are not right either. I have a business I run from my computer so I need help fast. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

If the problem is specific to firefox then

Uninstall firefox

Makesure to checkmark Remove my personal data option

Reinstall it

good luck

#3 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

While I appreciate your help and imput, I'm sorry to say that did nothing. Everything is exactly the same in the about:config file. I saw another section in here that some sort of forum bot helped a guy by using that Combofix. It was said don't just do this yourself you must be guided by the bot, so I hesitate to try this. Does anyone know how I can get the bot to help me? It worked for him so I guess I'd like to try that. Thank you for your time. And any other suggestions are welcome.

#4 Kuttus Ram

Kuttus Ram

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

To uninstall the Babylon from Computer

1: Click on Start Menu and Click on Control Panel, and then:

2: On Windows Vista or Windows 7, go to "Uninstall Programs" under "Programs and Features ":

In XP it is Add/Remvoe Programs.

3: Select the Babylon you wish to uninstall from the list and click "Uninstall":

4: Follow the steps of the uninstaller application:

To uninstall the Babylon from Firefox

1: On the Menu Bar, go to "Tools" -> "Addons":

2: Select the Babylon you wish to uninstall from the Extensions list - then click "Uninstall":

3: When prompted to do so, restart Firefox:

To uninstall the Babylon from Internet Explorer

1: On the Menu Bar, go to "Tools" -> "Manage Addons":

2: Select the Babylon you wish to uninstall from the Extensions list - then click "Disable":

3: In the Search Providers you may see Babylon as Defaullt Search Provider. Change that one with any other Search Provider like Google or Yahoo.

4: Remove the Babylon from there also.

After this if you are still see the Babylon

Press on Windows Key and R key together on the keyboard
Now you will get a Run Window. Inside the Run window Type REGEDIT and press on Ok.
Now you can see a Registry. (Be Care Full While using registry)

If you are uncomfortable editing the registry DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.

If you DO want to edit BACK UP the registry first by using ERUNT which can be downloaded from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

After running it Got to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Babylon and delete Babylon
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Babylon and delete Babylon

Now you have to change your Mozilla Home Page with google.com

For that Click on Tools -- > Options

There you can see any option to change your home page. Change the home page....

And restart the computer. Now it will be gone.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyy

#5 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks again for the input, however the Babylon Toolbar is not in the addons or the registry, it only seems to be appearing in the about:config page, it is darkened in there. I do want to say though that reinstalling Firefox seems to have helped with the memory issue, but the issues I talked about in my first post are still in the about:config area

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

When you unintalled Firefox, did you also remove the profile? If not, you will need to do so. That would result in the need to reinstall any extensions you have and having to reconfigure Firefox the way you need.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

How do you remove the profile when uninstalling, it didn't ask me that.

#8 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I will try it again. Thank you

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

You can do it manually, but you will need to set hidden files visible to do so.

Pathway: My Computer --> Local Disk (usually C) --> Documents and Settings --> Your user name --> Application Data --> Mozilla --> Firefox

Easiest is just to delete the Firefox folder once you've uninstalled Firefox. Doing so will delete the profile as well.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, I reinstalled Firefox without the profile and it looks good. The only problem now is I lot all my passwords (about 150 of them). I have no idea what they were. Any ideas? Are they gone forever?

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Never thought of stored passwords. I never store passwords on my computer as I view it to be a security risk. That said, when you deleted the Firefox folder, it should have gone to the recycle bin. Move it from the recycle bin to the desktop NOT back to its original location.

Having done that, open it up and then open the profile folder. Inside it, you should find these two files: key3.db and signons.sqlite . These two files store the passwords. Once you've located them, navigate to your new Firefox profile. Replace the two files in the new profile with the ones in the old profile. You should now have your passwords back.

Orange Blossom

#12 help124

help124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

The recycle bin shows somethings in it, but when I open it, there is nothing in there. Could it be these are hidden? If you think so, how would I unhide them? Thank you for helping me!

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Please read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/#winxp for how to set hidden files visible in Windows XP. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users