Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin N450DB Router Troubles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farkouh

farkouh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hello all,

I would like to start by saying that I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum in which to post about routers, but it seemed to be the most fitting. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Onto the issue:

I have a Belkin N450DB router (F9K1105 particularly). The story goes as it does usually; bought it: worked fine, now: not so much. The problem is as such: I get a SOLID orange (or "amber", as they like to call it) light on the router which, according to some random source online, means that the router does not detect a modem (not sure of this but that's the best I have so far). The odd thing is that my router's "PC Activity" light does not agree; it stays on and gives no indication of any problem.

This issue comes along around once every two days, and leaves after 30 minutes, during which I have no idea how to fix it.

I connect to the router with an ethernet cable, not wirelessly (because I hate WiFi), but for some reason, the software that comes with it (which is quite useless; "self-healing" my a**), insists on keeping my laptop's WiFi on, which I find to be very strange. It's as if connecting with a cable is unacceptable to it and it won't comprehend that I do not want to use the WiFi (which I use for my sister's laptop, her BlackBerry, and my iPhone, nothing else).

Things I've already tried:

1. Ye olde restart everything, and in every order (router then modem, modem then router). Also restarted the computer (which I found aimless but nonetheless).
2. All the online sources I've seen so far try to aid WiFi problems with the router. I don't have WiFi problems, I'm connected via a cable. Things like "change the WiFi frequency" I've already tried, and they didn't help much.
3. Unplugging the ethernet cable from the modem to the router and plugging it back in after a minute. The light will, sometimes, go blue for a few (8 or 9) seconds then back to orange.

Any suggestions would be helpful and if you need any other information, lemme know!

EDIT: Windows Vista (if that's of any significance)

Edited by farkouh, 22 July 2012 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 koumouri

koumouri

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

maybe the cable you are connecting from the modem to the router is going bad, have you tried a different one, you might try using another Ethernet cable if you got one handy.

#3 farkouh

farkouh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Nope, haven't tried that. I'll try when it goes orange again.

Thanks!

Keep the suggestions coming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users