Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysweeper Not Picking Up Adware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turkey lady

turkey lady

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

I was recently infected with some sort of adware virus, running Windows 98, IE 6, Norton Anti-virus. Dumped all Internet files, histories, and cookies-still there. Purchased Spysweeper, a Webroot product. Swept the system a number of times, got rid of a number of fatal cookies, but apparently not the ones with this very irritating adware that keeps popping up and hijacking my websites, as well as all my work.

Got hold of techies at Webroot, they had me download Hijackthis and send them my zipped log files-all clean. Now telling me that I should dump my Internet files, cookies, and histories...sigh...obviously, I wasted my money with this product.

My son, a techie, tells me that not all spyware programs pick up adware. He's too busy too help. Maybe someone here can, I sure need it, and will deeply appreciate it. Keep it simple, ok? I'm not too smart, very surprised I've gotten this far with this mess, and still have a remote understanding of what's going on.

(Couldn't even get this topic posted without several efforts-if it weren't for the fact that I know to copy everything I would have thrown the pc out the window in frustration by now).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:11 AM

Download and use the following free anti-spyware programs:
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
Spybot S&D 1.4

Perform the following online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Internet Explorer
Note: The Housecall log is saved to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\.housecall\log\
Panda ActiveScan
Note: Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.

To help prevent spyware, homepage hijacking and increase your browser security download and use these programs.
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD

Prevention and Protection Tips:
Read "How to Prevent Spyware".
Read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe"
Read "Secure Your Home Computer" for a comprehensive overview on how to keep your computer safe.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

Ad-AwareSE and Spybot are both well-reguarded anti-adware applications that seem to compliment each other very well---and they are completely free. Download, install, update, and then scan your hard drive with each. Because each company has slightly different criteria of what consitutes adware, each will search for different instances; having several applications will help catch more malware.
This would be a sensible first step.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mayfly1

mayfly1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

I already have on my computer - Spybot; Ad-aware; Spyware blaster; A-squared; SmitRem; and AOL Spyware protection. None of these have been able to find and get rid of the problem explained below.
If I download anymore of these things I'll have nothing else on my computer except spyware removal programmes. I've deleted all the usual stuff - cookies. internet files etc. No good.
Any new ideas anyone ? Thanks.

Two yellow triangles containing an exclamation mark have appeared on my taskbar.
Every few seconds they throw up a speech bubble telling me my computer is infected.
I am instructed to click the bubble to get rid of the infection.
This then opens up Outlook Express and takes me to a website (www.topadreviews.com) that sells anti spyware.
I've also found something in my start up programmes called 'adware reviews'. I''ve deleted this several times but it just returns.
It also keeps changing my desktop picture to a giant infection warning.
These b*st*rds seem to have infected my computer in order to sell their product.
As the trail goes direct to their website - is there no legal option to get these people dealt with ?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

If none of these tools are helping you then I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users