Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into Windows and can't boot into safe mode either.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jay226

Jay226

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hello,

Got a slight problem my laptop is running Windows Vista home premium and when i came to use it yesterday it wouldn't let me boot into windows just got a blue screen and then it re started and just kept doing the same thing,I've tried booting into safe mode but it won't boot into that either and I've tried a system repair system restore etc etc and none of them worked,i thought the hard drive could be corrupt so i tried to run the seagate diagnostic tool from a bootable .ISO but that wouldn't work either so i think it's time for a new HDD? And my other problem is i no longer have my Windows Vista installation disc so how can i re-install Windows after I've replaced my HDD will i have to buy another copy?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

When the system first boots begin tapping the F8 Function key until you are taken to the Advanced Boot Options Screen. Choose the option to disable restart on errors and reboot. Then post the ENTIRE contents of the blue screen error message here.

#3 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hi Allan thanks for the reply,I've tried doing that but it just beeps and tries loading windows,I've managed to get to the log in screen for windows now but it's asking me for a username and password but i never set one so i don't know what it is lol?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Are you using a ps2 keyboard or usb keyboard? It's possible the computer doesn't see the keyboard at boot because if you tap the F8 key it MUST take you to the Advanced Boot Options screen.

#5 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

It's a laptop so I'm using the keyboard built into the laptop,and it wont take me anywhere i know normally it takes you to the screen that says safe mode etc etc but it's just not doing anything.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Sorry - you did say it's a laptop in your first post. Have you tried booting to the Vista cd and running the startup repair options?

Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#7 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

It's ok and yes i did,yes i have tried startup repair it just when on for hours and did nothing i don't have the original Vista install DVD but i downloaded a copy of the rescue disc from neo smart technologies and tried the automated repair options from there which let me get to the log on screen but like i said before it asks for a username and password that i don't have i also tried a system restore from a restore point set a few days ago before this happened but that went on for hours also and did nothing. And i haven't installed anything new or had a virus or error messages which is why i think it's the hard drive that's failed?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I suppose it could be. The problem is if you can't tell us what is on the blue screen or get into Windows it's tough to diagnose. Let's check the hd and ram.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.
Hard Drive Diagnostics:
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE

#9 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yeah i know kinda of a bummer really now that the blue screen has gone and i can't get into windows at all lol.

I have done a test on the RAM memory with memtest86 because i thought it could be the RAM that's gone and the results came back with no problems. I tried to test the hard drive with the sea gate diagnostics tool but that wouldn't run from the bootable CD i made it just gave me an error messages but i will try the one you have just recommended and see what happens.

#10 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Ok can you tell me if I'm doing this right I've downloaded the drive fitness test for Hitachi hard drives and put it on CD an booted from it it's an ATA type drive so i select that option from the menu and then when it looks for the hard drive it says it cant find it,I'm sure that's not right or am i doing something wrong?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Sounds like the hd may be shot. You can open the case and make sure the drive is properly connected, but if it is............

#12 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yeah I'm pretty certain its the drive coz i tried a hard drive out of my other laptop in it and it worked fine and yeah it was all connected properly so new hard drive it is then good job i have a brand new one spare and I've also found my Vista installation disc now too lol :)

Thanks for your help anyway much appreciated

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sure - sorry it wasn't better news.

#14 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter