Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphical Problem, Computer Unusable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jackque2817

Jackque2817

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell computer with an ATI Raedon HD 5000 series graphics card. I have had it for over two years with no problems. A few days ago, while online watching netflix, these weird pixelated boxes showed up all over my screen and it would not let me click on anything. Then the sound stalled, and the computer shut down and restarted itself.

After it restarted, everything seemed normal. I did a full system scan with Microsoft Defender Pro and it found 3 problems that it said it fixed. Later that evening it happened again. Those weird pixelated boxes showed up and the computer cut off. This time it kept restarting, but the screen was all messed up and I couldn't read what it said. Finally I just cut the computer off by holding down the power button.

Now when I turn my computer on, the screen is black with the exception of a few colored boxes spread out across the screen. I don't know if my graphics card went out, or if I have a virus on my computer that has shut it down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Microsoft Defender Pro

This is not a legit microsoft software as you are infected most likely.

Tekken

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Indeed, it is not legitimate software, that is probably the smoking gun. This page might help.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

A quick question, When you turn on the computer and the Dell Logo appears is the garbage already on the screen?

Now when I turn my computer on, the screen is black with the exception of a few colored boxes spread out across the screen

If you are not seeing the Dell Logo clearly then you have a hardware problem.

Just to be sure see if you also have built-in video on the back that you can use for testing by taking out the ATI card.
The Built-in Video may have a little plastic cap covering it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Jackque2817

Jackque2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

A quick question, When you turn on the computer and the Dell Logo appears is the garbage already on the screen?

Now when I turn my computer on, the screen is black with the exception of a few colored boxes spread out across the screen

If you are not seeing the Dell Logo clearly then you have a hardware problem.

Just to be sure see if you also have built-in video on the back that you can use for testing by taking out the ATI card.
The Built-in Video may have a little plastic cap covering it.

Good Luck
Roger

When I turn on the computer, the garbage is already on the screen. At first the dell logo would show up, but now it's just garbage everytime. I had my computer built a few years ago. It is a Dell Studio XPS 8000 so I dont know if it actually came with built in video.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Garbage without the Dell logo showing sounds like a Video card issue. Any chance it was overheating due to a clogged heatsink and has died as a result. You could look at it and determine that.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Jackque2817

Jackque2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Indeed, it is not legitimate software, that is probably the smoking gun. This page might help.

Thats strange. I bought the software in Walmart a few weeks ago. Its the antivirus that I use on my computer. Defender Pro 2012. Its not something I saw online and downloaded or anything. The guy at the store told me it was a very good and solid antivirus software. I have the Windows 7 version. Was I sold bogus software????

#8 Jackque2817

Jackque2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Garbage without the Dell logo showing sounds like a Video card issue. Any chance it was overheating due to a clogged heatsink and has died as a result. You could look at it and determine that.

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks.

I think you are right. I haven't maintained my computer ever since I purchased it two years ago. Lesson learned. :(

Is there a way I can unclog my heatsink myself or do I need a professional? Also, if my graphics card has died, can it still be repaired or do I have to buy a new one?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

I use canned air and a small soft brush to clean the heatsink. It needs to be small enough to get between the fan blades and the air helps clean the heat sink. Be careful. Once a Video card dies like your has where it is bad even when cold, replacement time. You have to catch it before it dies and then a cleaning can help.

For reference you can find the maintenance manual for your dell by going to Google and searching like this sample
dell gx280 maintenance manual
Just put your model inplace of the gx280
Look for the line that starts support.dell.com

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Jackque2817

Jackque2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I use canned air and a small soft brush to clean the heatsink. It needs to be small enough to get between the fan blades and the air helps clean the heat sink. Be careful. Once a Video card dies like your has where it is bad even when cold, replacement time. You have to catch it before it dies and then a cleaning can help.

For reference you can find the maintenance manual for your dell by going to Google and searching like this sample
dell gx280 maintenance manual
Just put your model inplace of the gx280
Look for the line that starts support.dell.com

Good Luck
Roger

OK. Thanks so much.

#11 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi Jackque2817,

My name is Saurabh.

I would highly recommend you also run the Dell Hardware Diagnostics – Pre Boot System Assessment, before reaching any conclusion. Please find the process to run the diagnostics by clicking the following links:
1) PSA Diagnostics:http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_300428&isLegacy=true
2) If the PSA Diagnostics pass, please run the Extended Test on memory: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_155502&isLegacy=true

Kindly mention the results of the tests. Will take it forward from there on.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:08 AM.
Revealed links and removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users