Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange black screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tampakc

tampakc

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

OK, so, sometimes, when it's really late at night, like 3:00 am, and I am on the computer doing anything, if I feel sleepy or something else occurs, I don't shut my computer in order to finish what I was doing in the morning. So, I lower my laptop's screen and it ... I don't know how it's called, it kind of becomes neutral. But when I lift the screen in the morning, what comes up is a black background and my cursor which I have complete control over, but I can't do anything. I can't put it in neutral state again hoping it will fix because it doesn't become neutral, I can't log in because no log in screen appears. But there's something odd: Between my screen and my keyboard, my laptop has, something like a little touch panel, which controls the voice and wireless connection. I can't seem to control the mute, but I can switch the wireless connection on and off.... I know it sounds strange and it is, but it's also really annoying and I was wondering whether there is a solution at this and what is it. Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

neutral=sleep mode ,what key /button do you hit in the morning to bring it from sleep mode ,
sleep mode was never a windows feature i like using because of the exact problem you are having

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 tampakc

tampakc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

In the morning, I hit no button, when I lift my laptop's screen, it goes out of sleep mode automatically, if this doesn't happen.

By the way, are you the one helping me with my problem?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Have you read the manual for it? It might tell you what to key/button to push to bring it out of sleep mode.

You can also do a google search to find out what key/button you need to use.

Or you can start pressing buttons to find out which one it is.

As for who is helping you, yes he is because he answered. So did I. Others may chime in with their ideas.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 July 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#5 tampakc

tampakc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

What you are saying can't be right, simply because, it doesn't always occur, it sometimes happens meaning it has nothing to do with what I press since I always do the same thing.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

you have full control as to what settings in control panel, power option .

Edited by caperjac, 22 July 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

In the morning, I hit no button, when I lift my laptop's screen, it goes out of sleep mode automatically, if this doesn't happen.

By the way, are you the one helping me with my problem?

i think if it is going into sleep or hibernate it has to be worke up with more than just lifting the screen ,on a lptop i have here belonging to someone else i have to hit the power button /or enter key to wake it up ,and on the screen it displayed a locked icon and i need to enter a password to get in ,not sure if its set to hibernate or sleep

when you lift the lid and it stays black have you tried hitting the enter key or giving the power button a quick push to see if it will wake up

Edited by caperjac, 22 July 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

We quickly hit the power button on my daughter's Toshiba laptop to get it to wake up.

It's worth a try.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 July 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#9 tampakc

tampakc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I hit the power button, all that I achieved was to make the screen go pitch black, darker than before, and have no display of the mouse anymore. And if that's the case, then why does it open by itself most of the times, without me hitting a button?

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

its possible that you have a lcd problem of sorts ,it could be a overheating laptop ,caused by dust if the laptop is old enough to be dusty ,also could be over heating video chip ,some computer have know issues with video chips
how old is the laptop ,it was already asked but i don't see an answer ,what is the exact make and model of the laptop and how old is it

#11 tampakc

tampakc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Well, my computer used to overheat and shutdown. I've bought a cooling base, and yes, it is a little dusty. And the model (As seen on dxdiag) is: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC. But, I don't see how it can have such effects on my computer since, I bought a cooling base and the random shut downs have now stopped. If this was the problem, shouldn't it stop too?

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Well, my computer used to overheat and shutdown. I've bought a cooling base, and yes, it is a little dusty. And the model (As seen on dxdiag) is: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC. But, I don't see how it can have such effects on my computer since, I bought a cooling base and the random shut downs have now stopped. If this was the problem, shouldn't it stop too?

the base fan is good i agree ,but a can of compressed air will also help ,blow off the heatsinc and fan ,you will be surprised ,i don't just say this because i think it will help ,i say it because i know it will help I have been doing computer repair since about 14 yrs now ,and have seen a can of air work wonders on dust build up, wont help if its you video chip overheating ,the base fan is helping cool that ,but its just a temp fix ,if it is the video chip it will eventually stop working altogether base fan or not .
also if you Google search hp dv6 overheating i think you will find some interesting stuff .

if i may ,i will ldo it for you
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hp+dv6+overheating&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users