Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't modify registry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

Mod Edit: Merged topics - Hamluis.

I'm trying to move a profile from a domain to a local profile. I am using http://itswapshop.com/tutorial/how-migrate-local-profiles-domain-profiles-5-minutes-using-registry-tweak-windows-xp-and-7 as a guide.

When I get to the registry part I can't modify the registry for one of the profiles. I need to just tweak the path.. Or to delete it so windows can recreate it? It won't let me do anything to it. I have no idea how to fix this. It says I don't have access. I don't know how to do permissioning on a registry key.

I had issues with the same profile not letting me modify the C:\Documents and Settings\[username] folder. It says it's a windows system folder and won't let me modify it. I checked permissions and couldn't get it to work for the longest time. I finally booted into safe mode and finally got it to let me change the name to [username].[domain]. I think it was changing the ownership and doing the replacing child items thing that fixed it.

How do I fix this? I'm trying to move over 20 computers and each seems to have it's own new little problem.

In trying to move a profile from domain to local a new user was set up. When I tried to log into the new user it wouldn't let me on as if it had the wrong password. I didn't set up the user so I thought maybe the other person put the wrong password in. I logged into the admin and reset the password (maybe stupid?). I then tried to log into the new local account and now it had a screen that pops up and says that it couldn't load the profile with a count down timer. There is only the option to say ok. Then it brings you to the log in. I wasn't sure what to do so I just rebooted and tried again. I logged into an admin account and looked around but didn't see anything to do. I tried to log in again and now it is loading a temp profile, but I can't seem to get the account to load. Is this a corrupt account? Did resetting the password screw it up? I saw the warning, but since it was a brand new account I though it wouldn't be a problem.

Looking online it seems that fixing a corrupt profile is done by creating a new user profile and copying over settings. This means a new username right? There is no way to keep the same login username if you do that correct? If I delete [username1] it can't be ever used again? I can only do other unique names? Is that right? Even if the registry key is deleted?

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2012 - 11:32 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hello -
Do you know that the link you have provided is to a site that has its own forum ??

http://itswapshop.com/forum -<< Link -

Rather than give opinions or alterations to another sites tweaks, do you think that you would ask them first ??

Thank You -

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

A forum without many posts, other than the printer topics it hasn't had new posts in months. It isn't a problem with the instructions. I have already moved over 10 computers and this problem hasn't popped up on a single one of them.

Edited by LadyMorella, 22 July 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Sorry - I did not read the forum, just the link -

If you try a few more computers, and then post a few more errors, someone else may be (will be) smarter than me :whistle:

Regards -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

<<...it seems that fixing a corrupt profile is done by creating a new user profile and copying over settings. This means a new username right? There is no way to keep the same login username if you do that correct? If I delete [username1] it can't be ever used again? I can only do other unique names? Is that right? Even if the registry key is deleted?>>

Well...I suppose that you could create a new profile...delete the old...then change the name/password on the new to the old. But I don't understand why you would want to do that when changing profiles/passwords is such an ordinary event.

I would also think that reusing an old profile/password combo would weaken security posture...since anyone who had access to such previously...would now again have access which mqy not now be authorized/desired. That doesn't seem like a policy I would want to establish in an organizational environment where employees come and go.

Louis

#6 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

But I am moving a profile from the domain to the local machine. I want the same user to have access. Sorry this project has already taken 3x longer than it should have and I am really tired. Maybe I am not understanding something here.

#7 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hmm, the profile problem seems to be that the computer is not setting up new profiles correctly. It did not set up a ntuser.dat file for the user I wrote about. I copied one over and now it will log in. I tried to set up another user that is suppose to be on the computer and it didn't seem to do anything. No registry entry. No folder in Documents and Settings. What the heck? This computer had some viruses on it a couple weeks ago. Not looking good. I'm not sure what to do.

The registry is still an issue on that other computer though. It won't let me modify the path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users