Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SAHM/College Student

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SourGrapes

SourGrapes

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well, like many of the others on this intro forum I'm new and have computer issues.

I've had an account for a few years, but this is my first post. I figured it was time I stop trying to figure out my pc issues, using other's posts, and dive in for myself.

I love this board and appreciate the forum members' tips and advice. Many here are so cordial and polite, despite some of the attitudes of (a few) newbies with problems. For instance, the ones who don't follow directions, get short tempered, and/or don't post back with updates. I hope to not fall into this group. Perhaps by putting it here, in writing, I will be encouraged to not be this 'gal'.

If you're a 'couch-techie' like me, them I'm sure you can relate to my description; those of us who know just enough about computers to be labeled the family (or friend) computer go-to guy/gal, but have the potential to be dangerous. I guess people like us keep forums like "bleepingcomputer" busy.

I originally was going to post in the 'am I infected' forum, but got a purple shaded reminder that I hadn't introduced myself with a link to the Welcome Guide. I normally ignore these, but considering the super respect I have for this site and the members who donate time and energy to helping; I felt the need to actually comply.

About me:

I'm a full-time student and a full-time wife/mom. I'm the 'fixer' in the family, and that includes computers. My mother calls from Nevada with every little issue she has. So, I'm sort of a help-desk for her. We have 4 laptops, 1 netbook, 1 tablet, and 2 desktops in the home (aside from the 3 smartphones and ipod touch). With tweens, I'm constantly indundated with computer issues. For instance, of the 8 computers listed, we are down to 2 laptops and a tablet that are running, or operational at the moment. Which, leads me to my reason for posting today. I'm nervous about something my nine year old may have installed and will post details in the correct forum. With my position of 'family-tech', I'm sure I'll be here often. I just have to remember to speak up instead of sitting on the side-lines, reading through thread after thread.

My main issue is describing the problems, I'm not very computer linguistic. I have to get out of the habit of using 'the thing' the described a part or other not-so-pg words for other computer issues. (Do they have a slang computer dictionary, lol)

I hope I'll be able to contribute something to the site, and not always be on the receiving end.

-SourGrapes

Edited by SourGrapes, 21 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users