Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair Not Working - Won't Boot Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garbageosguy

garbageosguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have searched on this forum and google to see if others are having the same issue. After updating Windows last week, my computer has been in a consistent state of decline. Today, I powered the CPU down and it will not start-up again. I have attempted to use the windows repair disc, but am now told that startup repair cannot fix my problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hello and Welcome -
First thing to look at - Does the fan work ? If so, you may want to replace the CMOS Battery.

Please list the Maker and Model -

Thank You -

#3 garbageosguy

garbageosguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hello and Welcome -
First thing to look at - Does the fan work ? If so, you may want to replace the CMOS Battery.

Please list the Maker and Model -

Thank You -

Hi, thanks!

The fan seems to be working. What is the CMOS battery? Can I simply take the battery out and run on the ac adapter, would that be helpful? In the diagnostic tests, I see that the battery life is at 89%.

The CPU is a Dell Latitude e6420 with Win 7 Professional 32-bit

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Dell Latitude E6420 << Downloadable / Printable PDF Manual - Section 15, Page 45 shows these details - Please read it -

"What is the CMOS battery" << It is a small Watch type battery that normally lasts up to 10 years, but can come loose or get damp.
It is in no way related to your computers "normal operating battery" that lasts about 2 to 3 hours and can be recharged.

Is your computers clock still keeping normal / good time, or have you ever needed to reset it ??

"I powered the CPU down" << This statement is a bit confusing. Do you just mean you turned the computer off ??

This was only a vague remark based on another topic that I had read -

EXTRA - Please use the ADD REPLY Tab and not the Quote Tab when you reply, unless there is a specific reason - This makes your answer hard to understand -

Thank You -

#5 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi garbageosguy,

My name is Saurabh.

Dell includes a series of tests for a system's hardware into the BIOS called the PSA+ diagnostics. Please run the hardware diagnostics to scan for any hardware issues.

To launch the PSA+ diagnostics on this system, perform one of the following actions:
• Hold down the <Fn> key while pressing the power button.
• Turn on the system, press <F12> at the initial Dell™ logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
• Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message Diagnostic boot selected displays. The system then launches the PSA+ diagnostics.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 06:52 AM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users