Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor In Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roy2

Roy2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

I really need help here.
I am running Win XP Home edition on a PC clone. 2 years old and no previous problems.

Yesterday installed an Adaptec 1394 PCI card (Firewire)
Now when I reboot the monitor I get the normal green power on light for only 3 seconds
before the monitor goes into sleep mode. This happens before Windows logo, any text
or graphics become visible on screen. In other words the monitor screen remains
completely black. The green power light and the orange/yellow sleep light appear to be
normal other than that Iíve never used the sleep, hibernate or power saving options.

Before installing the Firewire card this was the computer configuration:
Motherboard Intel 865GBF
with Intel 865G Chipset with Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
Mem. 512 DDR 400 Mhz
Chaintec G-Force SVGA card 64MB Ram.
(Installing the G-Force card automatically disables the On Board graphics)

Today I have un-installed and re-installed the Firewire card and separately
un-installed and re-installed the G-Force card. Additionally I have disconnected and
reconnected one at a time my various peripherals but in all cases the monitor still
goes into a sleep mode.

Please note that since I have a blank screen I am also unable to get to the BIOS.

And obviously Iím using a friends computer here.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

This may seem trivial but have you checked the connections to and from the monitor.
Check that the brightness and contrast settings aren't awry.
Is the monitor compatible with the graphics card?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Roy2

Roy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

Boopme,

All cnxns are good and no components are more than 20 months old and
as previously stated have had no prior problems.

I believe that installing the Firewire card may have caused this problem
bur uninstalling and actuall removing the card has no good response.

Roy

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:06 AM

If you are using XP use system restore and pick a date before you installed the firewire card.

How did youi install the card? Did you use a cd that came with it or let Windows discover new hardware and install it?

Did removing it fix the problem?

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 March 2006 - 12:06 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

Can you try it in another pci slot, ther may be a resource conflict
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Roy2

Roy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

Boopme, and others,

Sorry for the late late reply - I thought I had already posted the solution.
Switching PCI slots didn't help but while I was in there I thought I might as well un-install / re-install
the G-force video card. (I have an Intel 865G Chipset with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on board).
According to Intel info installing the AGP board automatically disables the on board video and that
had been the case until I installed the PCI 1394. I've no idea why that should interfere with
the on board video or the AGP card other than that I maybe jostled the video card while installing
the PCI and somehow managed to introduce a shorted signal at start-up. Once I was able to
see the monitor again, I checked the BIOS and as it should have been, it remained set so that the
monitor should NEVER go to sleep.

Anyway I'm up and running - Monitors OK, sleep has gone and new additional RAM installed OK.

Thanks for all the help,

B regards,

Roy.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Glad to hear all is well,Roy2. Thanks for posting back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users