Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel: Vertical scroll bar insensitive on one worksheet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Okay, this is weird. I have a workbook that has been in use at least two years. The workbook has several worksheets, some of which have about 2,500 rows. On all worksheets except one, I can use the vertical scroll bar to move slowly down the rows. But only on one worksheet, moving the vertical scroll bar just a little bit immediately causes the worksheet to jump some 3,000 rows which is way past the last row that has any text. In other words, on this one worksheet, I cannot use the vertical scroll bar to move down the rows. Why does this happen? What could I have done to cause this strange behavior?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

First time for me to hear that. I guess that work sheet probably corrupted or infected. Did you create it on your own or just copy it from some other place ?

Please open a new excel file, then copy the content of that work sheet onto it. Check if the problem persists.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

I copied the contents of that worksheet to a new worksheet in the same workbook. The new worksheet scrolled properly. But guess what? When I then moved back to the original worksheet, now it also scrolled properly. Have no idea why this should be. Some sort of bug in Excel, eh?

#4 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

Glad to hear that. You better delete the old work sheet because you may not know if there has any Macro or Excel VBA on that sheet. They all can be set at invisible.

I don't think it is the bug, since Excel is the best product of Microsoft. I guess your excel file is quite large. In this case, your windows may take a few seconds to save it properly. However, in the middle of the process, somehow it got corrupted for unknown reason, and Excel restore itself for data protection purpose, but still leaving you some strange behaviors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users