Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything Need To Follow Re-install Of Xp Pro?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moon5683

moon5683

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

IT's a friends computer so I'm not sure of the hardware specifics other than a pentium4 and possibly not enough memory, one stick of 256mb. Had too much spyware and junk mucking things up...I couldn't even get windows for fully load to begin to run removal programs. So I did a full re-install of XP pro, wiping the hard drive. It seemed fine although alittle slow. I installed some protection programs from disk and then connected to the internet to update. After that things slowed down to 30 seconds for a program to open. Is there anything I should do after re-install that would have prevented this slow down? If I wiped the hard drive, did it get rid of all the spyware? I ran programs that came back clean.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

If I wiped the hard drive, did it get rid of all the spyware? I ran programs that came back clean.

It should be clean, but there are some malware programs that can hide even in video card memory. Open the task manager and see what's using processor power. You should be able to see which programs or services are slowing things down.

In addition to that, make sure you get available Windows Updates. More memory would certainly help.

You can also go to Start -> Run and type in:

msinfo32

and hit enter, and see how much swap space is being used and how much physical memory is being used. If it's swapping a lot, that could have a lot to do with the slowdown.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

If there is no video (graphics) card with its own memory, any graphics draws memory from system ram.

See if it does have a separate graphics card and what it is. Everest home can be downloaded from oldversion.com. Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware full feature version and see what it is.

If there is no separate graphics card and the system has onboard graphics, go into the bios and see what the graphics aperture is. That tells you how much ram can be drawn by the graphics card over any memory it might have on its own or above that the separate card might have.

Change settings to minimize high graphics usage in display in the control panel - no complex, high graphics screen saver if you even have to have one at all, hi color 16bit or 256 color instead of the true color 32 bit, no full color icons. etc.

256megs of ram is really a minimum for XP and most users have at least 512, and that's with a separate graphics card with its own 64megs or more. Onboard graphics have none and draw from system ram.

The paging file should be 1 1/2 times the amount of RAM but without a graphics card with its own memory make it somewhat higher. The system will be slow with only 256 no matter what else you do.

Keep the system clean and set IE's temp settings not to store humongous amounts of temp files.

The best thing would be to at least double the ram if not quadruple it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 March 2006 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users