Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max Downloading On Dial Up Whats The Max B/s

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

I was downloading the other day and my download manager said I was getting like 5200 b/s what does that mean or how much is that? Then well it jumped to 9200 b/s and stayed there for several minutes not just when it first started. It even stayed on 10+ b/s for a few seconds.

How come it wont stay that fast all the time instead of 5200 b/s?

Bytes per seconds right? Is 9200 more than whats supposed to be on dial up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

Actuallt it is bits per second. ... Binary digIT
bps

Short for bits per second, bps is a measurement of the data transmission speed. bps is an indication of how many bits that pass a certain point in one second. The larger the bps rate the faster the download and/or upload time will be.
Bps which is short for bytes per second and also sometimes abbreviated as B/s is the same as bits per second, but instead of bits, the speed is measured in bytes. The difference between the two abbreviations is the uppercase and lowercase b.

Byte is data equal to either 7/8 bits depending if it needs error correction (parity). A byte is spelled as byte and not bite.

From

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bps.htm

This link will explain the speed things, why they vary and a ;ot of other info on using a modem.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/what56.asp

I think ther was a tool called netstat that had some handy functions
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users