Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes after about 5 minutes, every time, then runs chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Llyn

Llyn

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

[edit: Sorry -- despite choosing (or at least thinking I did!) the Vista forum, I seem to have posted in Win 7. If you can move this, great, but if I need to re-do this in the Vista forum, just let me know. Thanks.]

I'm running Vista Business SP2 on my Samsung x460 laptop, 3GB ram, Intel Core 2 duo CPO P 7350 @2.0 GHz, 32-bit.

Starting about 4 or 5 days ago, my laptop freezes after about 5 minutes of use. The mouse will still move on the screen, but nothing responds to it, the keyboard gets no response, and I end up hard booting. When I reboot, it runs chkdsk, where it finds 0 bad file records, 6890 EA records, 60 reparse records during the "verifying files" section. "Verifying indexes" finds and deletes a couple indexes:

diconres.dll.mui in index $I30 of file 8200
rndc001.inf_loc in index $I30 of file 8200

Then "Recovering orphaned file b6jh_j~1.par (865) into directory file 9010
b6jh+j0P.zip.part (865) into directory file 9010
prndc001.inf_loc (20059)

3 unindexed files processed.

Recovering orphaned file diconres.dll.mui (32400) into directory file 8200

Verifying security descriptors:
Repairing usn jorunal file segment 3402 ..... and then it blips off the screen before I can type any more :/

A couple times I've gotten BSOD, but most often not. The only BSOD message I've noted is memory_management.

That's all I can think of...

I've come to BleepingComputer I think twice before and gotten really great help -- I'm so grateful you guys are here. Hoping you can help again.

Thanks,

Lynn

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2012 - 10:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi Llyn,

Seems as if you might be experiencing hardware issues. The hard drive and memory are easy to test.

1.) The first order of business would be to backup any important data presently on the laptop.

2.) Determine laptop Hard Drive Manufacturer:
  • Click "Start," type: devmgmt.msc in the "search" or "run" box then press <Enter>. (Win7/Vista, accept the UAC prompt).
  • Click the (+) sign next to "Disk Drives" to identify your hard drive manufacturer.
  • If the name isn't obvious (i.e. Samsung; Maxtor) then WD = Western Digital; ST = Seagate; HTS = Hitachi
3.) Preferably on a different computer, create a bootable diagnostic CD capable of testing your hardware.

Please download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from here or here (359 MB Iso file). Burn the ubcdxxx.iso file to create a bootable CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image

Let us know the hard drive manufacturer and we can post instructions for testing.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

drive shows as WDC WD2500BEVT-35ZCT0. I'm guessing WDC would also be Western, but ...

Working on the bootable disc.

Thanks!!

... OK, I have the bootable disc.

Edited by Llyn, 21 July 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

Yes, it's a Western Digital drive. If you restart your laptop with the UBCD in the drive, it should boot from the CDROM first (per your manual).

• Arrow down and select HDD from the UBCD start-up menu and press <Enter>.
  • Select Diagnosis, press <Enter>.
  • Arrow down and select DLG Diagnostic V5.19 (Western Digital), press <Enter>.
  • Press ESC and then "Y" to accept the agreement.
  • Your drive should be listed to the right. If you have more than one hard drive, highlight Select Drive and then make a selection.
  • At Main Menu, highlight Quick Test, press <Enter>, and then "R" to start the test. Hopefully it will report "Test Completed Without Errors;" otherwise, please note any errors.
  • Press ESC to return to Main Menu, arrow down and select Extended Test (this test could take several hours).
  • Note message: We recommend that you back up your data before proceeding, then press "R" to start the test or Escape (ESC) to return to Main Menu.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
  • Click ESC to return to Main Menu, Quit to Exit, and Ctr-Alt-Del to reboot.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sorry to be gone so long, lol. Life, you know? Including getting married :)

Anyway, I just ran the quick test and got:

Test completed with read element failure
error/status code: 0007

I've backed up what files I can with it only staying up a few minutes at a time, so I'm proceeding to the extended test.

... :( "Too many errors found -- please contact technical support. error/status code: 0225"

Edited by Llyn, 05 October 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi Llyn,

Congratulations on your marriage.

Regarding the hard drive:

225 Too Many Errors Found
Error count reached a threshold value. There are too many errors detected on this drive to be repaired. Replace the drive.
Ref: Data Lifeguard Tools 11 and 10 Error Codes

The hard drive, unfortunately, will have to be replaced.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Artrooks, for the congrats and also the bad (albeit expected) news. I've ordered a replacement. I may be back when it comes to getting the new drive set up, but that'll be a week or so (and that's if I get on it the minute it arrives).

Thanks again for all your help -- I appreciate being able to *know* that it's cooked.

Have a good one!

Llyn

#8 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hi Artrooks,

One more question (at least so far!). The new drive should arrive today. I have the OEM recovery disc. Have read some stuff about formatting and partitioning the drive, and other places have seen instructions to just install the drive and insert the recovery disc. The old drive was partitioned. What's your advice?

Thanks!!

Llyn

Edited by Llyn, 10 October 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hello Llyn,

have seen instructions to just install the drive and insert the recovery disc.

That's all you need to do.

You stated in post #1, the you have Vista Business Edition.

Here is a Vista Business installation, step by step (with enlargeable pics) on a new hard drive. The hard drive formatting will take place as part of the installation process and does not have to be done before hand. You will need to know how to boot the computer from DVDROM drive first. This is either by pressing a certain F-key at start-up or set in BIOS.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

OK, I got through the reinstall just fine (thanks!). And it ran fine for 3-4 days. I was thrilled -- thought I'd blown through it trouble-free! Then yesterday I went to sync my Win Mobile 6 phone with it. Mobile Sync Center didn't come up, which seemed weird since I didn't recall having to download it on the old drive -- I thought it came with Vista. Anyway, I went looking for it online. Downloading it involves authenticating Windows, which had already activated just fine, so I didn't anticipate any problems ... but it didn't like the version of WGA I could find to download (said something like "this version is no longer accepted, use Windows Update). But when I went to Windows Update, it said Windows could not search for new updates, and threw error 8024A000. None of the reasons listed under the help provided seem on point, so I'm not sure what to try next. Oh, and I viewed my update history, but it's blank. As in, nothing at all on that screen except the address bar and an OK button :/ Nothing under "Restore hidden updates" either.

I realize this may make this discussion more appropriate for a different forum, and no problem if so. I appreciate any thoughts you've got.

Thanks,

Llyn

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi Llyn,

When you right mouse click on Computer in the start menu, and select Properties, under View Basic Information about Your Computer, Windows Edition. What version and what Service Pack?

You should have SP2, plus all SP2 post updates installed. I have always found the Vista update process, tedious, taking days to fully complete. You have to constantly "check for updates," install, and reboot. If you don't have SP2 installed, then that's probably why you are having issues.

Once SP2-plus updates are installed, see: Activate Windows on this computer.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yup, it's SP1. Windows Update isn't working so I found SP2 to download. Started the install, didn't get very far and got "Installation was not successful -- catastrophic failure. Error: E_unexpected(0x8000ffff)".

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Give these a try:

Start by running the System Update Readiness Tool.
  • Under Resolution, start with Method Two.
  • Choose the correct download for your Vista system (x86 or x64).
  • If that doesn't work, try the Microsoft Fix it 50202: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414.
  • See if you can get Windows Update to work before trying the SP2 download again.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

The System Update Readiness Tool downloaded ok, but fails -- error 0xc8000247. Tried Fix It; it said I needed .net framework. (Got told that I needed 4.0.3019 a couple days ago in regard to another (unimportant) program too, and wasn't able to get it to install.) Tried to install .net 3.5 at one point just now, and .net 2 at another; both failed. One of them required sp2, which I'd love to comply by installing, but ... well, that's kind of the whole issue here :/

In the course of all this, I found a post by someone else talking about how after he got a new hard drive & reinstalled, he couldn't get anything to update either. His old drive had partitions; the new one doesn't. You had said the partitions would be taken care of during install; I never saw a prompt about that, and it's all C: now, so somehow partitioning doesn't seem to have taken place. Don't know if that's relevant or not. If so, sorry I didn't think to report it sooner.

Anyway, trying Fix It Center Online now, hoping for something, anything, to get my foot in the door with these updates!

... Nope, getting 0xc8000247 again, this time on Fix It Center Online. Feel like I'm going around in circles. Yes, it'd mean losing more hours of time, but should I maybe reinstall Vista and make sure it partitions this time? If so, how would I do that? And would I need to format the drive first?

Thanks again (as always!) for your help!!

Llyn

Oh, and I ran MS genuine advantage diagnostic tool, and it shows my validation status as Genuine, for what that's worth.

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi Llyn,

If Windows Vista is installed, then the hard drive was formatted.

Try the Automated Troubleshooter here.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users