Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Certain Sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donnakay12

donnakay12

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

I cannot access certain sites, I guess they are secure sites. Examples are ebay, yahoo mail, and my bank's account page. I tried all the seven suggested fixes on your tutorial and all seemed okay except the one that said to run "scf /scannow". Nothing happened. I got a message that said "scf cannot be found"

I believe I have some registry problems as well, don't know if that's related. Help!

I was able to access these about a week ago so I don't know what has happened since.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

Have you tried rolling back to before the event with System Restore? Did you install, download or add hardware to your system prior to the outage?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

How far in the process of accessing the sites can you get? Do you get any error messages? Have you made any changes to your browser's security settings recently? Which browser are you using?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 donnakay12

donnakay12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

I have not done a system restore as I don't know how.

I can access the actual main site but when I try to login to the area of the site that requires a password, I cannot. I mean, I get to the screen to enter the password but when I hit enter, I get the "page cannot be found" error.

Tonight, my computer froze up three times during disk check. I had to skip the disk check to even get into the computer.

I browse with IE. I'm on Microsoft XP professional.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

may be hardware related, check the brand of your hard drive and dl the test utility for it. need any help post back

as far as system restore goes, (if u dont have it turnrd off) start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

have you done a few of these yet?
1.control panel>add remove programs>remove java>www.java.com>dl install java
2.reset your browser to default values control panel>internet options>advanced>restore defaults
internet options>programs>reset web settings
internet options>security>select all four options(internet/intranet/rest sites/allow sites) and set default
internet options>general>settings>view objects>..look for items marked "damaged" then right click>remove

let us now how u made out
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 donnakay12

donnakay12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

I did all that you suggested to no avail.

Tell me how to check hardware and I will and dl test utility.

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

first find out the name brand of your hardware
take the cover off your computer case and lok to see what it is.
popular names are Western digital,maxtor,samsung
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users