Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 sleep damages network adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BarrieB

BarrieB

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I have an Acer Aspire 5755g running Windows 7 Home premium. It is a few months old and been working fine until the last few weeks where I have had an escalating series of problems. I have got used to closing the screen to send the machine into sleep mode. The new Windows7 sleep seems to work much better than Vista and the resume has always been very quick. Then problems suddenly started.

Firstly I occasionally lost wireless connection but the machine found it again (automatically) after a while.
Then, the connection dropped out permanently and diagnostics indicated a yellow flag against the Broadcom network adapter in Device manager. At first getting the machine to reset worked. Then I had to reinstall the drivers and that worked. Then disabling/reenabling the adapter was the only way. Then even that did not work.

At one point the computer froze whenever I touched the internet connection icon or the Device Manager item. Then it just froze completely whenever it came out of sleep and I had to do a hard close.

At one point I could only restart in safe mode. When this happened I fiddled with all of the things I had tried before (reinstalling etc) but don't really know what worked. One time I just left it over night and in the morning it worked.

The Acer help people suggest wiping the hard disk and using their recover utility to set the machine back to factory condition but this will wipe out all of my data and programs I have installed. At the moment everything seems to be working but I don't dare use sleep. Has anyone got any less drastic suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

don't use sleep ,just my preference ,besides checking for malware/virus/trojans i have no fix but stop using it ,sorry

i have been using a computer since win 3.11,and haven't used sleep mode since it became available in windows, i just turn off the monitor and leave it run ,now that just my preference ,from experience when i first started using sleep,and had problem resuming from sleep ,i just stopped using it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yes I've sort of come to that conclusion. I've been a user since 3.1 too and 7 is the first time it looked as though they got close to getting sleep right. With a laptop it's more difficult to just turn off the monitor but I guess I'll be using hibernate which so far has been OK (but slow to resume).

Thanks for the interest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users