Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent help needed!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paramitsha

paramitsha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hello everyone =) I *really* need computer help, haha.
I have a netbook with a dual boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux that my brother uses for writing film scripts (primarily on the Windows partition) that froze up yesterday to the point he had to do a hard reset. He was running Firefox, Open Office, UTorrent & Avast Anti-virus and I guess the little netbook couldn't handle all the programs running at once, causing the computer to freeze up. He reset the computer, and now when you start up the computer, without fail, it shows this:

error: no such partition
grub rescue>

Naturally, this has really freaked out my brother and he's worried he won't be able to retrieve his scripts and will have to install the OS new... is this the case, or is there a way to boot Windows and Linux back up as they were? :S

Thank you soo much if you can help.
-Krissy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

try this

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 paramitsha

paramitsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Alright, I used unetbootin to get boot-repair-disk onto a usb flash drive and ran it.. completed running it.. & now when I start the computer it says this:

Multiple active partitions.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I already went into the settings at boot and changed the boot order back from the pen drive to the hdd.. and it still says it..
Here is my paste if you want to take a looksee:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1104199/

thanks for the help btw n_n

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users