Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help setting up new hard drive on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tdimler

tdimler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I am running a Dell XPS 410 and filled up my original hard drive. I purchased a new Western Digital 1TB hard drive which I have successfully installed, partitioned, and formatted. I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to proceed from here.

I have several questions:

Should I have partitioned the drive into several partitions, or is a single partition (as I did) good?

Is the next step to clone the old drive to the new one, and if so, what is the best way to do it?

Since the old drive is maxed out, don't I want XP to run on the new drive, and if so, how do I configure it that way as well as direct all future files/programs to be saved on the new drive?

If I can get these questions answered it will at least get me started....

Thanks,

Travis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

The simple advice I can give...just attach the second drive for storage capacity...create whatever partitions make sense to you (bearing in mind that chkdsk and defrag on a very large drive...take a long time and everything on the drive becomes unavailable)...and move ALL data files from the current hard drive, leaving only Windows, critical updates, and installed programs on it.

That's how I would go.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/specs.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/OM_EN/YH251A02.pdf

Louis

#3 tdimler

tdimler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

The problem is, I don't know what partition makes sense! Beyond that, what is the best way to copy the files over to the new drive, and do I need to install XP on the new drive. Further, how do I "tell" the computer to save files etc. on the new drive?

Thanks,

Travis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

<<The problem is, I don't know what partition makes sense!>>

IMO, not a consideration at all. With the free software available today...any user can change her/his mind about the size and number of partitions which are present on a hard drive...at any time. Partitions can be made larger, smaller...number increased/decreased...at the whim of the user.

There are many programs for such, I use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm , more detail at http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-moving-partition.htm .

<<Beyond that, what is the best way to copy the files over to the new drive,>>

What files are you referring to? If you mean data files...simple cut-and-paste. If you mean moving the entire O/S and data files...to the new drive...then making a disk image/clone of the current drive...would be best, IMO. I must add that I think it's a bad idea to have everything on one hard drive when you can put such on two...but that's just my approach, I like to cut the risk of losing everything in case the hard drive fails.

<<...and do I need to install XP on the new drive.>>

No. If you keep the old drive in, it is the system/boot/Windows drive...while the other drive is just a big storage container for data files of varying types. If you clone your old drive to the new drive (putting everything on the new drive), there is no need to reinstall anyrhing because it is a clone of the old drive, with more space available.

<<Further, how do I "tell" the computer to save files etc. on the new drive?>>

Use the Windows Help menus to familiarize with simple actions as cutting, pasting, moving, deleting, etc.

Louis

#5 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

You can right click on your My Documents folder and select Properties. In the Target Tab you can move the location of your data files and when you do this it will ask you to move your documents, music photos etc to the new location.

You can also click on the Move button or change the path yourself.

Posted Image

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#6 tdimler

tdimler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

OK...thanks for this. It will get me started. If it was YOU, would you clone to the new drive, and let XP run on the new drive, or just copy files and use the new drive for storage and let things run off the old drive? I also have a 500gb external backup drive but I don't guess it really factors into this.

If cloning, have you used the function in EASEUS to clone with and is it satisfactory? I have also read some about needing to make a boot CD when cloning....will this be required?

Gracias,

TD

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I've already indicated what I do when installing new drives.

<<If cloning, have you used the function in EASEUS to clone with and is it satisfactory?>>

I suggested the Easeus program resizing partitions...and I have actually used it to clone from drive to drive in prior years. But...I would say that Macrium Reflect is the better option for cloning...using either program calls for reading the material provided at the respective websites to assist users...before starting an operation.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

<<I have also read some about needing to make a boot CD when cloning....will this be required?>>

No. The boot files are already on the hard drive, if cloned properly...there's no need for anything other than the drive to be properly attached/detected by the system.

The only value of bootable disks...occurs when a user cannot boot from the hard drive...no value at all when booting a properly cloned hard drive.

Louis

#8 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I would clone the old drive to the new drive and just remove the old drive.

You can use the tools that hamluis has suggested above.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users