Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused About Softare Programs.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

I am confused as what pograms I should download. I am with AOl(even though I use Internet Explorer the most of teh time0 and have their free Mcafee security center running on my computer, but I also have other numerous protection programs running and I am unsure which ones are best. They are:

1. Windows firewall
2.SPF firewall
3.Sygate Firewall
4.Spybot
5.AVG anti virus
6.Stand Alone Anti virus(Removal tools)

My AOL security Center is on as well as all the above software and I know I have too many protection programs running , but I am confused at which ones are best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

You could have problem with you computer running more than one firewall and antivirus. I prefer using stand alone antivirus/firewall programs. I have not had good luck with security suites. I run AVG and SyGate.
As far as antispyware I have not seen a computer with too much antispyware. I run and recommend a whloe lot of it. I take it one step further, and recommend installing the online and remval software before the infection. It is very difficukt to install software once infected.
My recommendation? Remove all the AOL antivirus firewall, and Antispyware suite. Turn off Windows firewall. Keep and update AVG, SyGate free, and the following antispyware.

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

Thanks acklan, I'll give it a go.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:43 AM

I would dump all of AOL's gunk, and stick with Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG. Having more than one firewall running at the same time can cause major operating systems conflicts. As usual, I find myself in complete agreement with Acklan's recommendations.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

I usually don't get caught in the American Off Line argument, but now that John brings it up... I will agree, go with a pure ISP. One that is local or regional. Less money and headaches.
Check with your local cable and teleco. Around here you can get 256kbs download for $25/month.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users