Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xpcat

xpcat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I've been searching the web to find out what all can be done with a VM, but am just getting confused. If I install a VM xp on my xp computer, will I be safer using the VM to surf?

Can malware get into my host xp through the VM xp os?

Can I run any program that is supported by xp on the xp VM?

Can I find help here if I have a problem with the VM?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've been searching the web to find out what all can be done with a VM, but am just getting confused. If I install a VM xp on my xp computer, will I be safer using the VM to surf?

Can malware get into my host xp through the VM xp os?

If you download infected files to the VM and then copy those files to the host PC and execute them, YES the host PC gets infected. Without transferring, files No.
A warning some malware will not run inside a VM but will infect your host PC if you run the infected files outside the VM.

Can I run any program that is supported by xp on the xp VM?

Almost. Some programs don't like to work inside a VM, the graphics speed will be slow and most games will not work, every program that need to direct control the hardware will not work.

Can I find help here if I have a problem with the VM?

I guess so.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi XPCat,

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to run XP inside a VM running on XP ? If your concerns are for security, then you would be more efficient to make sure all your Windows updates are up to date, that you have up to date anti virus and anti-malware software, and run a system scan from time to time. In fact, that all your patches are fully up to date. Secunia PSI is very useful for this.

I recently installed a VM on my own computer which is running 64 bit Win 7. (1) because I had a legit copy of XP to hand, and (2) because I had a moderately old game which I just cannot get to run on my installation of Win 7. I have since discovered that some very old CAD software of mine will run in this VM as well, a bonus. But I have XP running in the VM, not Win 7.

I installed the VM Player which I got from http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ This proved very easy to set up and to use, and I am quite happy with it. However the game - Microsoft Train Sim - does not run as well in the VM as it did when I last had it working on Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users