Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Picture Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

About a year ago I decided to protect my computer and downloaded many antispy, firewall,etc. programs. The programs slowed my computer to a crawl and I unwisely decided to do a full sytem restore back to factory settings to start from scratch. I saved all of my files to disc or so i thought. I ended up losing many family pictures that I put on my computer from my digital camera.

To make a long story short: is theri anyway possible that I could find these pictures even though my computer was fully restored back to factory settings. this was over a year ago, so i am not even sure of the names of files. I just know they were on my main C: drive. I figured it was worth a try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

Read the last few posts. Someone else hard the same problem and was helpped.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Acklan, I saw the post where another user accidently deleted pictures then used the Clean up program on her computer. My problem is that I had done a full system recovery over a year ago, so I don't know if any of those recovery sytems will work. Any ideas?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

In theroy they should be here if they were not over written.

#5 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

I hate to sound naive but, what do you mean overwritten? If they were in "My pictures" section than that is where I should look for them correct?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

All that tag "My Pictues" only points to where they are located. When you delete a file all you are really doing is removing the marker than prevents it from being written over. That marker is what asks you if you are sure you want to delete the file. Once removed that part of your hard drive is available with out windows protecting it.

#7 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

In my pics folder I have about 8 folders that i keep family pics in. When i did a system recovery, i put the pics that I had on my saved discs back into the same my pics folder. Did the computer overwrite all the original pics with the new ones?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

The term folder is not exactly accurate. The files can be store anyways on the disk. Usually the first available space large enough. Once on the drive windows indexes them so it can remember where they are stored. If the space on the drive was not used the it is still there. If windows placed a file in that spot then they are gone. They are over written.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

There are some recovery aps that can recover files even if they are overwritten.

Depending on how computer literate you are, or in the absence of that, how much you want to spend for professional recovery, they might be recoverable.

If they were deleted over a year ago, the chances are slim though - especially if you defragged several times.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 March 2006 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users