Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows.old

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

A co-worker brought in her daughters' laptop, Dell N4030, Windows 7 today and said it boots to the recovery screen everytime it is turned on.

I powered it up and it did go to the recovery screen. I inserted and re-booted to MiniXP and in the "D" drive found windows.old, windows.old000 - 002. I 'assumed' the daughter and/or boyfriend attempted a recovery several times.

I recently did a windows restore on a Vista machine so I found the Microsoft KB971760, 'How to restore a Windows 7 based computer to a prvious Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder.

The C drive does not have a Windows folder, all window folder are located on the D drive. When I did the steps to 'move' a folder I got the error msg that the system could not find the file specified (which the KB said to just go to the next step)... No specified file was found. So when I got the the move /y c:\windows.old\windows c:\, got the same msg.

Since all 'Windiws' folders are located in the D drive I tried to move from the D but then get the msg, 'Access denied'...

The steps I followed with Vista machine did as it should have but now with this Windows 7 machine.

Any sugggestions, thoughts???

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users