Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft errs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orca48

Orca48

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hello, Donít know if I am in the right place? I have recently had remote assistance from Microsoft, which started in November last year it has taken all this time to sort out what was a minor problem and Microsoft along the way created HUGE problems, not least of all removing without telling me Norton Ghost, which I needed but had been removed some four months earlier. There was a problem re installing and as a result I lost 4 months of data. A Microsoft technician had remote assistance and since then all sorts of strange things have been happening, Outlook trying to send messages when not open and there is nothing in the out box, it appears in my opinion the technician has done stuff on my PC out of line with Microsoft guidelines. He opened files put in new web links, some very private stuff! very private! He was moving a file I had not seen before %APPDATA% at which point I pulled the Ethernet cable out. I have wireless but used that for the very reason. He installed W7 which does odd things, like the curser at random has to be positioned exactly over the shut down box top right or others which did not happen with Vista, the guy also opened up Super Anti spyware which he then separated into its separate files and left them on my desk top ? I think the guy has loaded in a messed about with version of W7 for what reason I do not know. May be bored, I am in communication with Microsoft but they are trying to brush aside all responsibility. I lost four months of Data Accounts, emails, orders, pictures etc. They are trying to say they are not responsible. I was talking to the guy incoming call on my smart phone after which my smart phone was sending picture messages for 24 hours running up a bill of £135 far too many coincidences for it not to be Microsoft Engineer/s, again they are trying to deny.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Orca48

Read this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453721.html

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

narenxp You read my mind.

When You Google with the search
Microsoft tech support

Top of the page two paid ads that say Microsoft tech support .....
one that says 24/7 Microsoft Support

8 Advertisements on the right side that look like Microsoft support but are not the real Microsoft.

A tip off is if they ask for money or right away want to remote into your computer, especially if using non Microsoft software that needs to be installed.

I think the guy has loaded in a messed about with version of W7 for what reason I do not know

Microsoft doesn't give away Windows 7 for free, It had to be a hacked version.

I was talking to the guy incoming call on my smart phone after which my smart phone was sending picture messages for 24 hours running up a bill of £135

And that is the nail in the coffin of it not being the real Microsoft.

far too many coincidences for it not to be Microsoft Engineer/s, again they are trying to deny.

They are denying it because it wasn't them it was a fake.

As a result of that I'm going to suggest going two one of these for an all clear.
Take a look at these two forums. Only post in one. The first link will usually be sufficient for most users.

Am I Infected What do I do? No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Here
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Good Luck
Roger

Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic461576.html/page__view__findpost__p__2772260__fromsearch__1 By Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 July 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Orca48

Orca48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hello again, No the technician they admit is one of theirs and the telephone number is a US Microsoft number so they cannot deny.

Also the W7 another technician confirmed the technician who gave me W7 was genuine. But said he should not have done that, however a more senior one tried to cover over and said some are allowed to do that as a good will gesture.

Microsoft are responsible 100%

Also he put this file on my desk top and I think he was going to drop into another file. What could he do with this please ? %APPDATA%

Cheers Tony.

Orca48

Read this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453721.html

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

So you are saying you got the contact phone number from the www.microsoft.com website?

I was talking to the guy incoming call on my smart phone after which my smart phone was sending picture messages for 24 hours running up a bill of £135 far too many coincidences for it not to be Microsoft Engineer/s, again they are trying to deny.

Once again that isn't Microsoft thing.

Did they solicit you by phone?

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.
Additional content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users