Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Need Help Fast!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

i have already searched the other posts and still have not found any thing that works...
ok here is the deal. a friend of mines computer will not play any sound. the sounds and devices properties says "no audio device". the volume adjuster is grayed out.
his computer is an emachine T-4060.
PentiumŪ 4 2GHz, XP Home SP2, Intel 845GL chipset ,256MB DDR, 60GB HDD, AC '97 Audio

yes the power is plugged in, the speakers are plugged in right.

there is no conflict in the device manager, no ! or ?. the items listed under audio for device manager are -audio codecs, -legacy audio drivers -legacy video capture devices -video codecs.(there is no ac '97 audio).

i downloaded all the driver updates and windows. i reinstalled the sound drivers twice.

checked the bios to make sure the built in sound was enabled.

scaned for virues. did the system restore.
he claimes that the sound was working uuntilhe updated windows. and then he claims that it worked the day after then sstoppedworking again.

after doing all this is still does not work, am i forgetting something or is it a hardware failure??
is there any way to check a hardware failure with out putting in another video card??
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

I know this is a really dumb answer, but is it plugged into the right hole? I've often found that people are confused about which plug is the right one. Usually, it's the green one, but on some systems it isn't. And some computers even have a separate plug off to the side that's the only one that works.

It's also possible that the plug or wires are damaged.

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

Please do not Double Post, everyone here are volunteers and try to help everyone as quick as possible.

Please post all follow up post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46141/another-sound-problem/

I will see if a moderator wants to lock this post.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Good catch River_Rat. No offense to you, AMD010, and it's not a big deal, but we try to keep all troubleshooting advice and questions in one thread to avoid confusion.