Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Power Connector in HP Pavilion zv5000 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Riv

Riv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

How do you replace the power connector on the motherboard in a HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Riv

Riv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

I found the answer to my own question. The connector is soldered to the MOBO.
I don't do soldering type repairs. This is my nieghbors laptop she actually found the part on line, it was really cheap, like $2.00 but, I'll bet somebody would charge her $200.00 to install it. This is one of the most labor intensive laptops I've seen to disassemble. Anyone have any thoughts on what it would cost to replace this part?

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

If that is the only problem and you already have the correct parts, then it would be of minimum charge. Just found this one online http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

Tekken

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Unless it is a special case, the total job runs $120-135 including a new jack. At least that is what I have to charge to remain competitive with shops in the city.

It is not that bad. Take your time, organize your screws, get a small pick set to pull connectors, and either a solder wick or desoldering tool to remove the solder when you melt it.

HP has all of the service manuals for lappys on their website.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Around here in Central NJ I believe the rate is a little higher. I've seen a flat rate with parts included of $149 US.

Is that High? If it is one of the Toshiba laptops where the DC in jack is on a cable that plugs into the motherboard and is easily accesible. Then Yes it is high. Often the plastic of the plug that holds it into the slot in the case breaks. Hot melt or Epoxy works for that if the base is also damaged. Otherwise it becomes buy base, cable, total dis-assembly mover everything to new base and assemble. Then I would not consider that high.

On a HP where there is a chance of damaging the motherboard. The older models had problems with the video chip connection to the motherboard as well as the work. So you could do the work and still have a dead computer. so you eat that one, then it doesn't seem high either.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users