Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2007 crashes shortly after opening a Word file (Post-malware infection)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ElianaR

ElianaR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

In this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458779.html/page__st__15__gopid__2770461#entry2770461
I asked for help with problems that were occurring after Avast found a malware infection on my computer.

Right now what is happening:

When I open a Word file, it freezes & then crashes (details below) often w/in 10-20 minutes of opening the file, but occasionally it has been longer (it went 3 hours once). Sometimes it happens when I am doing resource intensive things with an image dense document, other times it has happened when I have left the computer and the document is just sitting here open.

This often coincides with an extreme slowdown of everything running on the computer (though each has occurred separately).

I went through the suggestions for dealing with slow computers frex:

I have:

- cleaned computer
- went through Firefox troubleshooting checklist
- cleaned hard drive (used CCleaner)
- ran SFC
- ran Chkdsk
- checked for problem entries in Device Manager
- checked DMA status (already enabled)
- defraged system
- defraged page files
- checked for unnecessary running services
- verified Windows indexing system was disabled
- Disabled visual effects
- disabled Ctfmon.exe
- disabled mdm.exe
- ran TFC
- tried doing a clean boot
- a number of things I believe were directly related to the malware checking/repairing (OTL, ESET, aswMBR, DDS,
- uninstalled & reinstalled Word multiple times (including 2 fresh downloads - legal, I hasten to add! I bought online & added a digital backup service to my purchase, so I can redownload from a specific to me link as needed.)
- checked for unnecessary applications loading when Windows boots [but some of these have just reappeared - I'll go back and try again]

After I sent in (another!) error message, Microsoft Office popped up a diagnostic, which did not turn up anything.

The error report I get when Word crashes is long. Here's a summary [if there is any part of it that would be particularly illuminating, let me know & I can type that up - I can't copy & paste from the thing-y, and I do not want to type the whole thing up if I don't have to!]:

AppName: winword.exe AppVer:12.0.6514.5001 AppStamp:4a8e09fd
ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5781 ModStamp:49c4f482
fDebug:0 Offset:00012afb

Exception Information
Code 0xe06d7363 Flags: 0x00000001
Record: 0X0000000000 (lots of 0's) Address: 0x000000007c812afb

THen there's a list of Modules w/ image base & size, time stamp, Checksum, etc

Module 1: Winword
2: ntdll.
3: kernel13
4: snxkh
5: msvcr80
6: msvcrt
7: WWLIB.
8: advapi3
9: rpcrt4
10: secur32
11: gdi31
100: mpr.d

Thread 1 ID: 0x00000d6c

followed by an enormous list w/ OX00* 4 columns each w/8 letters &/or #'s
& a 5th column with a variety of symbols (or sometimes just ......... (15 characters/row, I believe)

Any suggestions as to how to go about diagnosing (and repairing!) this would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Eliana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Are you using Avast Antivirus?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ElianaR

ElianaR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Are you using Avast Antivirus?

Roger

Yes.

I'm sorry I should have included that clearly!

6/17 an Avast "quick scan" identified Win32:Malware-gen in a file. We chose "delete". No difference was noticed in the computer's functioning.

Except: Word stopped working. When I open a Word file, the Word screen opens, but no content & it is listed as "not responding".

An Avast "boot scan" on 6/18 turned up nothing

An Avast "boot scan" that covered more (it ran all night) identified a Win32: Malware-gen in the same file. We chose "move to chest" and the crashing stopped.

It was after that that I first tried uninstalling and reinstalling Word (Home & Student 2007).

The various scans/repairs I was instructed to do in my malware help request posting made a definite difference & I was able to reinstall Word and have Word docs open normally, let me edit (if they stayed open long enough), etc.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

This is why I was asking.
snxkh from your first post. Could have been Avast or Malware.

Since it isn't Malware can you turn off the Antivirus as regards Word or office. I have seen Antivirus cause problems that way.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 July 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 ElianaR

ElianaR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is why I was asking.
snxkh from your first post. Could have been Avast or Malware.

Since it is Malware can you turn off the Antivirus as regards Word or office. I have seen Antivirus cause problems that way.

Roger

How do I do that?

Thank you so much!!!! I am very excited that I might finally be able to finish the project I was working on when this all began!

Eliana

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

I managed to type since it is Malware where I meant isn't Malware, Hopefully you got my meaning.

DO not disable the Antivirus and leave it that way just do it as a test. I wish you luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users