Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

I have an extended G wireless router. It work fine, except I get no signal in the basement.

I want to access the internet from the basement while the kids are playing there.

One suggestion, from Best Buy, uses the two ethernet adaptors that plugs into an electric outlet and the signal travels over my electrical wire. This sound to good to be true. Does anybody know if these devices work in practice. If it does, hopefully int is faster than dialup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Were you referring to HPNA? It has been arond for a while and is valid option. Your speed it greatly reduced compared to ethernet or USB connections. The truth be know, you generally have a 1.5 to 4 Mbs HSI connection. Most websites will not let you have more the 500kbs (.5Mbs). There are some exception but not enough to build you LAN around.
The standarsd (common) speed for HPNA is 1.0 Mbs. The new standard will be 10Mbs. Too much information to list here. Check out the link provided.

http://www.hpna.com/

Edit for legend.
Mbs = Mega Bits per Second
MBs = Mega Byes per Second
1 Byte = 8 bits
MBs is 8x faster than Mbs. Just FYI

Edited by acklan, 07 March 2006 - 05:49 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I do no think I was referring to HPNA. The device at Best Buy is called Wall -plugged Ethernet Extender kit.

It looks like two wireless voice phone jacks. A cable from the router is connect to one device that is plugged into the electric outlet. A cable is also connected to the pc and them to a second device that is plugged into an electric outlet at the far end..

My concern is that if it work , the my PC will have close to dial up speed.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

This may be what you were looking for. It is call "ethernet over power". Here is some information on the subject.

http://hhi.corecom.com/homeplugnetworking.htm

#5 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thanks

I am going to buy the devices. I will let this board know how they work.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

Have you looked into the HPNA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users