Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Reformatting Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Emper0r

Emper0r

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying to completely reformatt my C drive, and it doesn't seem to be working, here's what I do:

Insert the Windows XP pro cd, choose new install and let it auto restart my computer. Then there's basically three things I can do:

1. Install Windows XP Pro again on the C drive.

2. Delete the C: Partition

3. Go into the recovery console and reformat that way

Well I obviously don't want to do #1... when I try to do #2 it says there's Windows temporary files that it needs so I can't delete it.

When I go into the recovery console, I type the following:

format c:

or I type: map
then: format c: /fs:ntfs

In both situations it comes up with:

This will delete ALL files on the partition, are you sure?(y/n): I type y and press enter, then it pauses for three seconds or so and then another empty command line pops up, which means it's not doing anything at all! Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Thanks.
www.gameinfinite.com - GameInfinite your source for all your gaming needs
www.top200.org - Top200 . org connecting YOU to the best sites on the 'net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

Download Digtal Dolly, and burn to cd. This is a disk utility that will allow you to format, partition and scan your drive for errors. This is a 50meg DL.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Digital Dolly is good, but if you have any problem with using it, installing Windows formats the disk before the install starts as long as you choose install and not repair.

The recovery console is used to repair an existing installation.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 March 2006 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users