Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up a laptop hard drive to be an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hello,

I need help setting up a laptop hard drive to be an external hard drive, please. The hard drive is from a laptop, it's small--almost flat from how not-wide it is--it's labeled ATA/IDE, and reads: Model: IC25N080ATMR04-0, by Hitachi.

I at first purchased this 'USB 2.0 to IDE SATA S-ATA 2.5 3.5 HD HDD Adapter Cable' off eBay for the job..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180550148600&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

..because it looked to me like a nice big all-in-one kit for this sort of thing, but I was surprised to find upon receiving it today that I can't really seem to get my hard drive properly connected to it, and certainly not to the point that connecting the USB cable to my destination computer causes a hard drive to be detected. (the hard drive itself is fine)

I imagine there's some sort of adapter or connector I must still get? For example, maybe there was a way the hard drive connected to the laptop inside, so that I need to get that sort of piece, before the HDD can properly connect to one of those pieces I do now have?

I may be wrong, but I believe I count 47 pins in total off the hard drive, in case that helps: 4 pins on their own, then a tiny space, then 42 pins, with the middle of those pins having one column that's only 1 pin instead of the usual 2, making a total of 47.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Any chance of getting a look at some pics of the connection end of the hard drive?

I am thinking perhaps that the hard drive still has an adapter attached ... the adapter that is used to connect it to the particular model of laptop from which it came. If so, then that adapter can be removed (it may be difficult to loosen and remove/pull away from the HDD) and you should then be right to go ahead with your new "kit".

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 July 2012 - 10:04 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I use that same type of kit all the time. Try what AustrAlien suggested. You need to use the smaller row of pins they should line up with the drive. It should also only go on the continuous rows of pins and there should be a spot with no hole on the adapter that lines up with the missing pin on the drive.

Part way down the page from the seller that you linked it shows hooking up the different types of drives if that helps.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Reference for drive: http://www.netcomdirect.com/hitr80088042.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users