Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time WAP shopping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 msgsu

msgsu

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

I have been tasked with updating the Wireless Access Points in the office. I work in a three story building that houses about 20 employees per level. Most are using Win7 laptops, but when they are at their desk they use a network cable. They really only use wireless when in meetings.

Currently we have one 3Com 8760 WAP per floor (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02511877&printver=true). When operating optimally, they were still getting the job done, but they are on their way out. Being an advertising agency, we would like to accommodate transmitting the growing amounts of data due to the larger projects we have. Also we would like to allow for things like mapping SBS 2003 drives wirelessly (that the Airports, meant to resolve one specific need, that were bought before I arrived do not allow) and have the ability to handle the BYOD issues that come with a workplace full of smartphones.

I have had a visit from a Ruckus salesperson and I am in contact with another with Aruba. Of course the boss wants me to ensure we buy the cheapest possible solid solution. The Aruba quote came in at $2,500 for 3 WAPs and other assorted charges, and I'm sure based on what I was told the Ruckus one will come in higher. This will make my boss choke.

I know it is hard to say what to recommend based on not knowing variables like office layout and others...but I would like to get your opinion on if I should go the business grade route above, or if I could get by on some high quality consumer grade WAPs at a fraction of the price? Are there sizable benefits that cannot be had with the consumer grade WAPs that make the cost doable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Our company has used http://www.ubnt.com/unifi for a few of our clients. They are extremely easy to configure. You only need to configure 1 AP, when the software detects that another one has been connected, it simply asks if you want to configure it with the same settings. We have users connecting to SBS 2003 server shares using mapped drives. You can create separate networks that will allow only internet access. We were able to purchase them locally and a pack of 3 WAP's cost just under $300.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

For a small scale business I think you probably get by with the higher level consumer AP's. Many of them can use RADIUS serves an the like. Also you can setup multiple networks for access. A hidden SSID for the internal company wireless and a open one for the BYOD people. Some seroius research will be required but I thinsk you can find what your looking for for well under $600.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users