Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Windows 8 plans are what? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

I plan to...

1. Upgrade immediately upon release (11 votes [15.07%])

Percentage of vote: 15.07%

2. Wait a few months (12 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

3. Wait for the first service pack (2 votes [2.74%])

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

4. Wait for Windows 9 (9 votes [12.33%])

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

5. Stick with 7/Vista/XP/etc. (35 votes [47.95%])

Percentage of vote: 47.95%

6. get it pre-installed on my next new PC (3 votes [4.11%])

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

7. do nothing as I don't use Windows anyway (1 votes [1.37%])

Percentage of vote: 1.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Just curious, with Windows 8 looming what are your plans, if any?

Edited by Andrew, 20 July 2012 - 12:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Stay with W7 until I build a better computer, and even then postpone W8 as long as I can.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm going to wait a few months and see how people react to it. After a few months I'll see if I still want to stick with Windows 7 or not. I have a feeling that Windows 8 isn't going to be that bad, but people will shun it away like they did with Vista(albeit Vista had a myriad of problems that were not caused by microsoft). I won't judge Windows 8 until the day the final release is out and I'm going to judge it with no prejudice.

Edited by nesto1000, 19 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

I voted
get it pre-installed on my next new PC

As I am thinking of buying a Tablet and I will get it with Win 8.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've gotten to play with Windows 8 a bit and it absolutely horrifies me. If I could have chosen two things to vote for my second would have been "wait for Windows 9", otherwise its 7 as long as possible. In PC application 8 largely is taking away features I am particularly fond of.

I might be more forgiving of the removal of the start menu if there was still the rich text search option from the desktop and not limited to metro. I use the start menu constantly, but in particular I use text searching. I don't like that in order to shut-down the PC I have to go into Settings, then Power Options, then Shut Down off of the metro ui, unless I make icons for the function. As a gamer I just can't imagine using metro at all.

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am not too impressed with Windows 8 so far, I got it running on a computer but since they changed just about everything my users have voiced their opinion as well and they don't want it.

I can see having it on a tablet or a computer with a touch screen, but not for a business desktop.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

I picked wait for windows 9.

I will definitely be sticking with windows 7.

I can't tell what I said when I noticed all the useless changes. They'd end up getting bleeped.

Computers keep getting faster starting up and shutting down. What was Microsoft thinking making it harder to turn off?
Most of the features I use every day are missing. Yech!

Touch screen? There is something wrong with getting fingerprints all over your screen.
Well there goes the market for people that use a large screen HDTV for a display.

Edited by rotor123, 23 July 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'm not sure what to think of this. Mixed feelings really. It seems easy to get the hang of, but about applications that don't use Metro? How am I supposed to run those without a start menu? I don't want to put all my shortcuts on the desktop. Microsoft left many questions unanswered. They don't apper to have even thought this through.

@Rotor

I've been having all sorts of trouble rebooting/shutting down Windows Server 2012. Seems impossible. How are corporate users going to do maintence? Everyone has to reboot/shut down at somepoint. They reall made some common things very difficult to do.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

DarkSnake-Kobra

I haven't played with server 2012. However I do wonder if what I do with Server 2003 & 2008 would work.
When I want to shut down quick with out having to fill in the box for why, I just tap the power button and they shut down.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I just tap the power button and they shut down.

Doesn't it pop up the same box the next time you boot it?

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

For some strange reason it pops up the box if there is a power loss, but it doesn't seem to pop up when I tap the power button to shut down.

I haven't played with Server 2012, but I hope they left that functionality in it. I was Answering DarkSnake-Kobra's question.

I've been having all sorts of trouble rebooting/shutting down Windows Server 2012. Seems impossible. How are corporate users going to do maintence? Everyone has to reboot/shut down at somepoint. They reall made some common things very difficult to do.

I use that system of tapping the power button with XP, Vista, Windows 7, server 2003, and server 2008 as it is easier.
Since he is having trouble rebooting and shutting down. A shut down and power on works as a reboot too.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 jos789

jos789

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

There are still lots of glitches in the Preview Release of Windows 8 and I hope M$ will fix most of them before they release it (in October?). I will stick with Windows 7 and wait for Windows 9 on my system. But as a computer repair guy I have to get familiar with Windows 8 and upgrade one system as soon as it's out. As a regular user I would skip Windows 8 and wait for Windows 9.

#13 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I for one like to fill in that box as to why the servers is being shut down or restarted. It will go a long way for you when your trouble shooting and looking at logs. Microsoft will look at those logs should you happen to call them for support as well.

that way you know whats been done to the server as well before that shutdown or restart.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

For what I do filling in the box would be a waste of time.

I put together servers now and then for someone. They supply the parts and OS. Typical would be a HP Proliant. I plug in the drives and any memory upgrade. Use the HP Smartstart disk, It walks you through getting information. Then asks for the OS disk. Loads the OS, all drivers and HP software. Then I do the security updates and shutdown. And Box it up. They do all the configuring. Easy for me.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

DarkSnake-Kobra

I haven't played with server 2012. However I do wonder if what I do with Server 2003 & 2008 would work.
When I want to shut down quick with out having to fill in the box for why, I just tap the power button and they shut down.

Good Luck
Roger

Ah okay. I haven't seen any reboot/shut down button so I'm at a loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users