Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive crash - BSOD - computer not recognizing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jacks05

Jacks05

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Two days ago while I was at work, there was a power surge in the area that was apparently pretty bad (so I'm told). When I got home I walked in to find my computer booting up and was on windows load screen for a long time. I am not sure if it was the first attempt to load or if it had kept rebooting as I was not here, but I waited for about an hour and when it had done nothing but froze I had hard shut down the computer. When bringing it back up it came up with the BSOD error 0000007b and would not go any further. At that point I shut down again and went into BIOS. The computer was not recognizing the hard drive. I waited until the next day and purchased a new hard drive, removed the old and put in the new. I was hoping to be able to put the "crashed" hard drive in as a second and pull all files off of it. However, though still spinning with no noises coming from it I have failed to do so. I took the "crashed" hard drive and put it in another computer in the home and it does not read it either. I would REALLY NOT like to pay very large sums of money to get back to my important documents. Is there a way to get to the information and transfer without the hard drive being read, "taking platters apart", putting things in freezers, or paying large sums of money? I saw that spinrite was a good one to detect the undetectable is this true?

Technical information needed to know. I am working on a Dell with Vista Home premium, AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4400 + 2.30 GHz, 3006 MB RAM, 32-bit operating system. The "crashed" hard drive is a SATA Samsung Model HD321KJ 320 GB 7200 RPM and the new hard drive is a SATA Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users