Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Program Sharing Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Talonaces

Talonaces

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

I recently purchased new Dell computers for my kids. Both systems are using Win XP media addition. I set myself up as administrator to keep them from installing programs without my knowledge. Here is the problem. When I install a new program, i.e. a game, as administrator, I then log out. When the kids log on to play their new game, they don't have access to them. How can I fix this problem so they can access their games and other programs I install as administrator.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

It looks like you can't unless you give them admin status in Win XP home, which Media Center is based on.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...ty/wxp0402.mspx

Excerpt from Microsoft page:

Host Guest_Tony_MS
Q: dhopton_MVP : It's annoying - I have a friend who wanted to stop his brother from messing with his documents, but let him play games. He came up against the same problem as you.

Host Guest_Jeffrey_MS
A: The "make private" thing would help this as well. It prevents other admins from seeing documents (they can still take ownership)

Host Guest_Tony_MS
Q: dhopton_MVP : Tim: Because the permissions required are the same as an administrator. For example certain registry keys have permissions that only allow the administrators to create/edit them, and games use these - there isn't really much of a way round

Host Guest_Kirk_MS
A: Tim: We do have this concept in PRO (it's called the Power User) but our usability studies for Personal showed conclusively that Home users did not want to deal with more than two groups

Host Guest_Tony_MS
Q: Rebecca : Are you saying that if I give my son administrator privileges that he could take ownership of my documents?

Host Guest_Kirk_MS
A: Yes, if you know how. There are now no visible tools to do this out of the box other than safe mode boot

Host Guest_Tony_MS
Q: Rebecca : Is this only in NTFS?

Host Guest_Kirk_MS
A: FAT is even worse, it has no security

Host Guest_Tony_MS
Q: Rebecca : So what do I do to keep all the important stuff private and still allow him to play games and things?

Host Guest_SecDev_MS
A: Encrypted File System is available on XP Professional (not on Home).

You can try installing the games on each of their accounts separately temporarily giving them admin status and then changing it back to limited user. I don't know if that will work or not. If it did, you would think the Microsoft engineers would have suggested it. I don't know if Media Center would work with XP Pro even if you wanted to "upgrade", and I sure wouldn't let kids run loose with admin accounts.

#3 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll try what you suggested and see if it works. I definitely do not want my son to have admin privileges. I don't want him installing anything without my knowledge, especially from the internet. I'll try a couple of other things as well, like installing the games to "shared folder" instead of "program files".
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users