Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista upgrade from xp

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tyromaniac

tyromaniac

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I thought I was installing a Vista upgrade (for which I have a license) that came with my Sony Vaio laptop running XP, however I accidentally used DVD for a trial version (for which I don't have a license). Now I can't use my valid upgrade because it only works when upgrading from XP -- which is no longer running on my computer -- of course I don't have a restore disc and the valid key I have doesn't work for the trial version. Is there some way (maybe a file in Windows.old that I could put back) to get the valid Vista upgrade to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 tyromaniac

tyromaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Sony Vaio VGN-N130G

Edited by tyromaniac, 20 July 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#4 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

hi..
It is obvious because when you upgrade the Windows Vista to Windows XP, the key will be invalidated. you will not able to use that Windows XP version even as a dual-boot option. You can download Windows Vista from the Microsoft's site. Before upgrading check the Hardware compatibility. And upgrade the version which is similar in size. Like if you are having 32-bit version of windows XP then upgrade only 32 bit version of Windows XP.

#5 tyromaniac

tyromaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for your reply Johhny,

But you can't download Windows Vista from the Microsoft's site, and that's not what I want to do, anyway.

--Tyromaniac

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I would just contact Sony, requesting the appropriate recovery disks for that system.

It seems that a number of owners of that system had problems trying to use the reocvery feature that is installed, so I would contact Sony for disks.

Louis

#7 tyromaniac

tyromaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

What I was trying to get at is: How does the Vista upgrade know whether I'm running XP or not? Does it look at the contents of some specific file(s) -- or the mere presence of some file(s). And might not I have this/these file(s) stashed in Windows.old?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

<<How does the Vista upgrade know whether I'm running XP or not?>>

Well...in order install any upgrade version of Windows...the user most provide proof that such an upgrade is authorized.

Windows checks the hard drives installed...for a qualifying version of Windows, AFAIK. I can't speak for OEM systems (HP, Dell, etc.) because I don't own any of those...but I suspect that it's a standard Microsoft mechanism to protect their interests in any Windows system.

Software manufacturers (programs) vary this a bit...they will ask for qualifying license or install media for previous versions...as alternatives to detection of the prior version program, IME.

Louis

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

It depends how your Vista installs.

When I do a rebuild on my Vista laptop it just renames c:\windows to c:\windows.old and c:\program files to c:\program files.old and installs a new copy in the correct folders. WHen you install WinXP that will always format the installation drive and do a fresh install so I can't see how it knows it was Vista before.

I have 2 genuine WinXP CD's but if I try and install WinXP on my laptop it says can't find valid drive. Now both my desktop and laptop have SATA drives but my desktop always installs without any problem. I will probably need some extra drivers for the laptop.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#10 tyromaniac

tyromaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

so if I rename C:\Windows -> C:\Windows.xxx and then rename C:\Windows.old (which the trial upgrade made from my original C:\Windows in XP)-> C:\Windows, then my Vista upgrade might recognize that I have the Windows XP license and work. -- or will everything stop working as soon as I rename C:\Windows???

--Gary

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

FWIW: Vista/Win 7...and XP...use different boot files...it's very obvious which install has taken place when a check of the system is done by Windows.

Louis

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sorry to add over hamluis -
Is there any major why you are not going from XP to Windows7 and instead are going to Vista ??

Support for Vista will also end sooner rather than later, but Windows7 will still have a shelf life after Vista is gone.
Both are a ""Similar"" operating system, and the full upgrade is generally better - - (((But please note this is ONLY my opinion))) - -

I went and purchased a Windows7 system computer, to use with my XP also, and I think I was better for this, as the Vista "bugs" were all gone

With the cheap deals on laptors and towers at the moment, your Recovery disks are part of the purchase price already

Thank You -
Please Note that I added Personal Opinion Only -

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

so if I rename C:\Windows -> C:\Windows.xxx and then rename C:\Windows.old (which the trial upgrade made from my original C:\Windows in XP)-> C:\Windows, then my Vista upgrade might recognize that I have the Windows XP license and work. -- or will everything stop working as soon as I rename C:\Windows???

No Gary you can't rename the Windows folder to anything else because its in use and NT OS has true DOS only the Command Prompt. Your going to have to try installing Vista again and hope that renames the folders. I've used some Vista discs an that formats the drive then installs Vista.

Do you have a factory backup in an hidden folder? I have a 12GB WinRE partition with the factory backup in it. If nothing is shown in there then use EASEUS Partition Master its free and will show all drives and their sizes.

If you right-click on Computer and select Manage then select Disk Management you might see it.

Update:

There is a pinned thread in here How To Perform A Clean Vista Install Using A Vista Upgrade Product Key have a read.

Edited by Keithuk, 23 July 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Keith

#14 tyromaniac

tyromaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Thank you all for your input.

Jon,

Only because I had the Vista upgrade that came with the computer (and I never installed because of Vista's rep). The only reason I got into this mess in the first place is I thought the upgrade would fix the blaster.worm infection I had, which it did; everything would have been fine if I hadn't picked up the wrong disc.

Kieth,

I didn't think I could rename Windows, but maybe I could have replaced some key files in there?

I had read the pinned post you mentioned -- maybe it would have worked if I had perservered, but having Vista wasn't my first choice.

Anyway, I got to the factory back-up by pressing F10 when the Vaio logo appeared at start-up. Of course, I lost six year's worth of tweaking I've done to get things the way I want them (also six year's accumulation of junk -- all-in-all not a terrible trade), but so far, I've been able to find everythig I need on my flash drive or on the internet. -- except I can't remember how to make explorer open full-sized.

--Gary

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Sorry Gary I forgot to mention a factory restore does a fresh install so you loose all extisting files. The thing you have to remember with any Windows system ALWAYS backup important files to a USB flash drive just in case something goes wrong, its a belt and braces approach.

At least you have Vista up and running again.

Additional:

To make Internet Explorer open full size press the F11 key which is an option I've never needed to use.

Edited by Keithuk, 24 July 2012 - 07:12 AM.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users