Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows boots nothing works

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roadster

roadster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows 7 Ultimate. I came home from a business trip and my family presented me with this challenge. My kids are not sure what the last thing they did was.

The computer will boot up OK and when I login to my account with admin privileges it gives me this error message:

"c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessible."

I then get a taskbar with a Start button and a recycle bin icon on a black screen. When I try to open Explorer, Computer, or Control Panel I get this error message:

"The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password."

First I turned off my wifi, then if I boot in safe mode I can go to the command prompt and see that my files are still there. I performed a "clean boot" using msconfig and nothing changed. Explorer.exe is running in the Services tab of Task Manager. I cannot create a new user because Control Panel will not open. I navigated to the RESTORE folder in DOS and it was empty (perhaps the clean boot did this?). Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roadster

roadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Resolved on my own by using a restore point. Odd that no-one ever responded to this post...oh well.

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I am sorry no one got to your post, I am fairly new here but I can tell you that they do get quite busy and most likely your post just got overlooked.

That being said, I glad you got it all worked out.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users