Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast AV: problem with boot time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ValR

ValR

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

I've been a satisfied user of Avast Free for a couple of years now and am running version 7.0.1456 on start-up. For more than a month now, I've noticed that my Windows Vista boot time has been getting longer and longer. I'm fairly meticulous about what programs I allow to load on boot, so it's not the case that 100s of 'em are trying to come to life simultaneously.

According to the list in my WinPatrol PRO, the actual start-up programs are Avast Free, WinPatrol Pro, WinLogon Userinit Soluto, Winlogon Shell explorer exe, WebCheck webcheck dll (which WinPatrol Pro describes as 'DELAYLOAD'), and Component Categories cache daemon browseui dll TASKSCHEDULER. That seems to be a total of 6.

But WinPatrol Pro also reports a second entry for Component Categories cache daemon, which it describes as a SHELLHOOK. When I click on the entry for more information, WPP reports "local file not found". Finally, there's an entry called OA Shell Helper, again described by WPP as a SHELLHOOK, but of which it again says "local file not found".

It's currently taking almost 4 minutes for this Vista PC to load. The screen appears quickly and is populated rapidly with my tray and quick launch icons but, but, but. . . The orange ball for Avast seems to take forever as it spins, stops, spins, slows down, freezes, then resumes. During that time, none of the on-screen icons are accessible: mousing over to, say, Windows Explorer results only in the appearance of the eggtimer. It's the same with any other app I may go to.

I've uninstalled Avast and re-installed but it still seems to be slowing the boot-up process almost to a halt. (Note: it's only in the past week that I've added Soluto to the mix, and it has made no discernible impact on start-up. Thanks to Soluto, however, it has flagged up 'Frustration' and Avast AV as the probable cause -- it's showing a little graphic of 'foot prints' to indicate that Avast is the prime suspect.)

I really don't want to quit Avast and go somewhere else, but I note that my experience of boot time delay isn't unique: in recent months, quite a number of Avast users have posted on the Avast forum and elsewhere on the 'Net saying that Avast is seriously degrading boot-time performance. So far though, there seems no acknowledgment of any problem by Avast, and no fixes.

I just wondered if anyone else here who is using Avast Free had experienced a similar problem -- but I also wondered if the culprit(s) have nothing to do with Avast at all, but are the two SHELLHOOK / Local Files Not Found reported by WPP???? Could it be that delays are occurring because the system is trying to hunt down two files / two dlls which don't actually exist???

Help / advice appreciated: thanks.

Windows 7 Home Premium / custom build PC / AMD FX4100 Quad Core / AsusTek 200 MHz / 8GB RAM / Crucial SSD 256 / Western Digital 1000 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hello -
I have always found that to get specific help with a program like avast ! anti virus, their own Forum is a better place to ask your question
>> http://forum.avast.com/index.php << This should be a link to the Avast public forum
You can register for free (like here) and ask them for detailed help directly -

Hope this directs you correctly -
EDITED for correct link -

Edited by noknojon, 21 July 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've done a search on this issue, and have seen several others with this same problem with the latest version of AVAST. The Shell Hook thing has nothing to do with this issue so far as I can tell. I also seem to recall something similar happening on my computer with an earlier version of AVAST. I solved it by delaying the loading of AVAST. I can get away with doing that because I physically disconnect from the internet when I shut down.

I think if there is a way of either delaying or preventing the boot-time scan that this would solve the problem. If that doesn't work, you could try delaying the loading of AVAST until AFTER the system is booted.

I don't have AVAST on my system anymore, so I cannot experiment with it myself.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 ValR

ValR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've actually followed OrangeBlossom now, and said goodbye to Avast. I'm trying out Panda Cloud AV and the boot time on this computer has been slashed by 2 mins 40 seconds. Avast used to have some kind of hook into my Windows Mail set-up to scan incoming messages and I think that's been the cause of all the trouble with Windows Mail since uninstallation: for whatever reason, all the parameters had been re-set and I couldn't get a single email sent from any of my accounts, or received. Anyway. . . I went back to gmail, found the settings for email, and changed everything back. Et voila: everything now works again.

Pity about Avast, but the fact that this computer is now booting up as it used to do is all too clearly not unconnected with the removal of Avast Free.

Windows 7 Home Premium / custom build PC / AMD FX4100 Quad Core / AsusTek 200 MHz / 8GB RAM / Crucial SSD 256 / Western Digital 1000 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users