Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeps crashing regardless of what I do

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MHarper70

MHarper70

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I've been dealing with this for about 4 months and am unable to figure anything out.
The computer Compaq running Vista with service package 1 continues to crash on me regardless of the steps I taken to fix whatever is wrong with it. I've run system restore a number of times to soon find myself in the same situation not a few days later. DSKCHK produces a corrupted file :Windows\assembly\NATIVE~1.507\temp\ZAP7030.tmp\system~1.dll, but otherwise says everything is fine, until about every 12th time I run it it seems dozens of files have suddenly been corrupted.(I run DSKCHK roughly four times a day because it gets the computer working sometimes) I run Avast and they say everything is fine- but the computer crashes. I toned down all the Vista eye-candy, and still it crashes. I have no idea what it could be or what the source of it could be. I've also run Malbytes and Ad-aware to zero results.
Any ideas before I just take it out back and put a bullet in it?
I have very little knowledge of computers so if anyone knows what is up with this thing please say it like you are talking to a child.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

First, the command is chkdsk not dskchk. And in order for it to have any positive effect you should run chkdsk /r as follow:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.
Also, please define "crash". EXACTLY what happens?

#3 MHarper70

MHarper70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

That is really the devil of it- it doesn't do the same thing. When it 'crashes' it does either one of three things- freezes, the cursor moves but the computer doesn't respond, or it simply seems to get stuck in some sort of loop. All these things can, and do, happen at any given time. It likes to freeze or do the endless loop when I'm booting up the system, but sometimes it's at the welcome screen, or just when it's going to the desktop. Sometimes it boots all the start up programs, sometimes it's only one or two. (I don't have many of them), and then freezes. It likes to freeze whenever I've download upgrades and am trying to install them. Sometimes I can get the whole system running only to have it freeze after ten minutes and then other times it'll operate fine for hours only to freeze in the middle of doing something. When I run the CHKDSK sometimes the index files are corrupt, sometimes a lot of them or just a few, sometimes there's problems with the files, sometimes there is nothing wrong and it freezes while loading anyway. I've run countless virus scans with different products and have always come up empty. I have very little software installed on the computer since the last system recovery (I've done dozens of these), and have plenty of memory. Could it be a hardware problem? Could it be some sort of virus or corrupted file?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

#5 MHarper70

MHarper70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

No, in fact the only way I can really get this thing to work is in safe mode

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

1) Run chkdsk /r as described in my post above. I want to start with a hard drive with no errors.

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#7 MHarper70

MHarper70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

While the issue isn't resolved completely I have narrowed it down to something called the Background Intelligent something and disabled it. It doesn't seem the only issue, however, and I'm still trying to hunt that one down. It has to do with the computer downloading anything, and I think at that point the circus begins.
Anyway, I believe this is all on the right track and over the weekend I'll keep at it. Thank you for your help.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb968799%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

#9 MHarper70

MHarper70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for your help, after searching and using the process of elimination it was, ironically enough, Avast. I've removed it and for the past few weeks has been trouble free. Once again, thanks for the service that you guys provide- it's good karma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users