Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Offline

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with XP. I download The Windows Defender Offline and created the boo-table CD with this computer. But when I boot with it, the only option the program gives me is to update it. Then when I click on the update button the bar fills to approx. 90% then says it encountered a problem with the connection.This can go on over and over.

Yet when I put in the very same CD into My Dell desktop it runs just fine. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. But I hope someone has some idea of what else I can try. I also put the program on a flash drive. but the Toshiba does not have an option to boot from the flash drive

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2012 - 11:32 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Windows Defender is, in my opinion, a complete and utter waste of time and resources. I'm not sure what you're trying to fix or accomplish by running it, but I assure you there are significantly better alternatives.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Allan, are you talking about Windows Defender offline that runs from a boo table CD, without booting into XP? It is supposed to check for viruses while XP is not even running.

The computer did have Windows Defender installed.But since I thought it was an old program I un-installed it and then installed Microsoft Security essentials. But every time I turned off the computer and then on again.Security Essentials was turned off and there was no way to turn it on again, except by reinstalling it again. That's why I thought a virus or something might have caused this.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Then I suggest you post in the Am I Infected Forum on this site.

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

OK will do Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users