Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Help With Ftp Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hey everyone..... I currently do Graphic Design now for the printing company I work at. We have a domain hosted by GoDaddy.com, which we only really use for an email client. The homepage (which is a place holder page until the real site is done, is www.cambridgeprinting.net

I have done your basic websites with HTML and Flash etc. But never did anything like an FTP Site. Basically what we want to do is have a basic site for clients to upload large files, say up to 100MB or so. I just dont know how to write a script/code for it to tie it into the existing homepage.

Any suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi there,

So I am assuming that you have presently, a static web site. Meaning that your current page is named something like index.html, and the pages linked to it, if any, are individuals as well. Are you hoping to incorporate a Data-Base with the extension of index.php or something to that affect?

In order to handle 100MB uploads, your site will no doubt be better off dynamic I believe. I could visualize chaos trying to keep up with an abundance of static pages from clients file transfers. You are probably already aware of that already though, and if not, you better ask for a raise.

The entire client side process should be mostly automated with the proper server side includes to handle the transfer and management of large files as well as binary to handle active file types. If you could be just a bit more specific, I have an idea for a couple of resources to point you towards, but I don;t want to lead you on a wild goose chase if I am misenturperating your question.

Hope this helped,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hey Nos,

Thanks for your response, and yes you are very accurate as to what i am looking to do. It is a static site, that for the time being only has a home page with a mailto: link on it to request quotes and such. I dont remember if it was index.html or default.html, anyways, We are not looking to put a massive server in place as to store client files on the site. Just enough so either they can go to a dedicated site to upload, or to just have a link that says upload files right on the home page.

Once they are uploaded I would want to download them locally, and then they can be completely gone from any ftp site once I have the files on my computer.

This is kind of hard to explain but let me know what other info you need. the currrent home page is at this LINK

Thanks,

Brian

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hi again,

First of all, I must admit that I am not a seasoned vet when it comes to the management or even the complete construction of dynamic databases. I have just recently been delving into the information, and thought I could lend a hand.

I will share with you what I do know, there is a start to the whole process and it begins at choosing an Application Server. Next comes choosing a Web Server. And finally, choose a Database type. Now, you may or may have not already completed all or part of these steps, so that might be a good question.

Are you by any chance using Dreamweaver? Or for database development, Coldfusion? From what I have heard, using a combonation of these two programs makes managing a database very productive. And the learning curve is far less intense, since Coldfusion is a Tag based language, compared to PHP, a Script based language. So, if you know HTML, it is possible to learn using Coldfusion a bit quicker.

I noticed at the web site, it is on an Apache server, which means that you are a bit more open in your options, as oposed to being chained by Microsoft limitations.

Here are a few links that might point you in to more information, as I said, I am in my learning phase as we speak, so maybe in a few weeks I will have some better answers for you.

Application Servers:

Macromedia Coldfusion

PHP - Hypertext Preprocessor

Web Server:

Apache

Database Type:

MySQL

Hope this helps,

#5 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hello There,

Thanks for the info, and what your saying does make sense. Also I did learn HTML in school as well as dreamweaver, just dont know it deep down to do more then basic websites. I never really worked with coldfusion, I know of it but never worked on it first hand. Perhaps we'll learn this together.

My only roadblock is the owner is on a tight budget, we're lucky we got the domain name up and running, never mind web server options. We shall see how it comes out

talk to you soon

Thanks

#6 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

I agree,

The more I research databases, the less enthusiastic I get about converting. Although I am sure I will gravitate toward that direction in the near future, I just need to get a handle on my folder management. I stopped by Yousendit.com, and had a peek at their Source Code just out of curiosity, and they use a Microsoft Web Server that yields a total Script format.

I am curious to the speed of uploading large files, as I have used their service in the past, and it was fairly speedy. I am wondering if those same types of speeds can be obtained using a XHTML-CSS based site, or if using server side includes can help speed up the process.

So, off to Google I go......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users