Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aaargh!! Help i broke my computer..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teagan*

Teagan*

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hello Bleepingcomputer administrators and monitors :wink: . .how are you?

Well i messed up. I ran a 'System Recovery' which i shouldn't have, and now my computer . .is like if i started it for the first time. :unsure:
( back to factory- installed applications or hardware drivers ) . .I had no reason for doing it, i don't even remember why i did . . .it just sort of happened. :whistle: :blush:
Though i am 90% certain that everyt
hing is still there before i did this, i just don't know how to 'rollback' everything to how it was. ( I should also mentions, i remember when it asked to do a full restore or to do or use a partition (something like that) i did select the partition thingie. )
I tried to do a 'system restore' but it says there isn't any restore points, ( even though i know for a fact there was one dated back to yesterday morning. )

How can i . .go 'back to the future' so that my computer is like it was before i did this?

System Info:
- Windows XP Professional
Media Center Edition
Service Pack 3
- Hewlett-Packard
HP Pavilion
Intel Pentium 4

. . .not sure what other info you need, but just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#3 Teagan*

Teagan*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hi Louis, how are you and thanks for replying. :) . . i've posted what you requested below.
I am willing to do anything to help reverse what i did. :busy:

Plublish Snapshot from Piriform Speccy :

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HvuGYXconvDRJ2Do3UMQ6UZ

Teagan

Edited by Teagan*, 19 July 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

FWIW: There are any number of data-recovery programs...which may assist you. I will list a few which various members have reported having success with. IMO, there is no way to undo the restore, there may be a way to retrieve data files...but nothing is guaranteed.

Partition Find and Mount free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Louis

#5 Teagan*

Teagan*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi Louis, hope your weekend is off to a good start.B)

So i was able to find my files i had and though i lost before i ran
'System Recovery' ( Pics, Music, Vids, Fav. links from I.E. and other doc. ) . . and saved them on a flash drive for now.
Though i still need help, could you show/tell me how i can do the following:

:step1: Locating my Bookmarks (or fav.) links from Mozilla Firefox.

:step2: It seems like as if i've added 2 other 'User Accounts' ( shared computer ) . .but i'm the only user, so i would like to delete/remove what i think are the one or two extras user accounts and free up space.
( i think i remember reading that by default the computer creates a 'Computer Administrator' and or the option to create a Guest accounts. ) . . or are they just duplicate folders? Is there a way i could scan the list of folders, so you would be able to see what i mean?

When i open the 'tree' on the right to see all the folders in this order.
:step1: HP_Administrator
:step2: HP_Administrator.YOUR-55E5F9E3D2
:step3: HP_Administrator.YOUR-55E5F9E3D2.000

Also, when i run 'Autorun' clicking on 'Users' at the top on the toolbar . . it shows:
1) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
2) YOUR-55E5F9E3D2
\HP_Administrator
3) YOUR-55E5F9E3D2\Administrator

Teagan

Edited by Teagan*, 20 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

If you are not having problems...I suggest that you leave the profiles alone and not go tinkering with anything.

I don't use Mozilla...but I suspect that you can find the answers to any questions about it...at the respective Mozilla forum.

<<When i open the 'tree' on the right to see all the folders in this order.
HP_Administrator
HP_Administrator.YOUR-55E5F9E3D2
HP_Administrator.YOUR-55E5F9E3D2.000>>

I did some investigation (of a sort) a couple of days ago...about these HP accounts. Not very illuminating and I don't have an HP system. I suspect that it may be connected with persons doing illegal downloads/installations...but I cannot state that with any certainty. If you do a Google search using the alphanumeric code...you will see lots of questions with no answers about it.

Louis

#7 Teagan*

Teagan*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hi hamluis (Louis)

Just to clarify
"HP_Administrator" is the computer administrator ( in other words the User Account i.e. when i sign onto my computer, it signs me in as "HP_Administrator" )
. . .and "YOUR-55E5F9E3D2" would be the computer name.
As for what you found in your search on google, and mentioned "
may be connected with persons doing illegal downloads/installations." . .i haven't looked yet, but anything installed on my computer is registered and/or was a product preinstalled, distributed with the computer or obtained as an upgrade directly from the computer manufacturer ( HP in my case ) along with whatever Microsoft-crap needs to update. And downloads, other then music and . .lets say for example "CCleaner," "Java" "FlashPlayer", etc...

Me.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Again...I don't know anything about how HP systems work...but it occurs to me that a new profile may be created each time that a user does s restore to factory defaults (just a wild guess).

I'd leave them alone if there is no indication that problems acccompany their existence.

<<Also, when i run 'Autorun' clicking on 'Users' at the top on the toolbar . . it shows:
1) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
2) YOUR-55E5F9E3D2\HP_Administrator
3) YOUR-55E5F9E3D2\Administrator>>

When I click on that box in Autoruns, I see two entries for my self-built system: 1 for my system name and me, one for NT Authority/System.

NTAuthority/System is Windows.

One of the others should represent your system name/your profile.

My guess would be that the third one represents the default HP user profile appearing on all HP systems sold.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users