Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 1719

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lektrik

Lektrik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

I am trying to help my Grandma find a computer package that will suit her needs and not be too expensive. We've looked around and I wish to know your opinion on this particular package.

The computer is a Compaq Presario 1719. I am not familiar with this make and so if any of you know anything about it that would be great.

It has an AMD processor, which I also know nothing about so all information would be welcome.

Now, the computer needs to have a decent graphics card, so is the 256MB ATi X200 graphics card any good?

I'm looking for opinions about reliability, worth, and it's suitability for running broadband internet, as these are the main reasons she's getting a new computer.

I look forward to hearing anything you know about these products. I also apologise if this topic is in the wrong category as I wasn't entirely sure where to place it. If you need to know any other information about the package then I'll try and fill you in on what I remember. Thank you.
Lektrik. Idiotic since 1989 when I was born... then promptly dropped on the head.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:44 PM

Yes this computer is well suited for broadband internet. Actually the graphics card kind of throws me off. Thats quite a bit hefty for internet use. I would presume that you will be gaming a bit as well?

Edited by WlkingMan, 07 March 2006 - 03:12 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

I am with WlkingMan. It sounds like someone may be doing some gaming on grandma's computer from time to time... :thumbsup:

I think if grandma want to game every now and then down sizing to a 128mb video card, and bump up to 512 ram would make more sence. What do you think WlkingMan?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

Yes, I think grandma might want to look into that. You don't want her games to lag on her do you? 128mb Video card should be able to handle any game that she throws at it, and 512mb's of ram would be much more suitable for such.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#5 Lektrik

Lektrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Lol, thanks. This package does come with a 512MB RAM so I guess I'm, I mean she's, okay with this one then.
Lektrik. Idiotic since 1989 when I was born... then promptly dropped on the head.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#7 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

Your're welcome.

And the best wishes for your.... err... her gaming and browsing experiences. :thumbsup:

-WlkingMan

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

I coulnd't find any info on that graphics card.....then after about 30 minutes worth of searching I found out that it's not a graphics card. It's what they call "integrated" with up to 256 mb "SHARED MEMORY". This means that you don't actually have a graphics card, but that your computer will deal with handling the 3d rendering for games and whatnot, instead of having a seperate piece of hardware (graphics card) do it for you. Now, good news is that the onboard video is supposed to be really good (the x200 integrated graphics got good reviews, well, good as far as "integrated" goes). Bad news is that it's shared 256mb, meaning that you've only got 512 mb ram for everything....so when half of that goes to your integrated graphics, then that only leaves 256 mb ram for the system and other programs.

Now, for internet (broadband, dial up, or whatever), this computer will do the trick. Should grandma decide to purchase Battlefield 2 in hopes of hopping online and killng some peeps with her tricked out AK-47.....I'd be a little bit hesitant to let onboard graphics run that game. However, the shared graphics would whip up on any solitare game or knitting website :thumbsup:

If you'd like some advice on what kind of graphics card to get for this machine, could you please post a link for the specs so I (we) could see if it's got an AGP slot, or if it's PCI-E compatable.

BTW, the only useful link that I could find was from Walmart HERE. Scroll down almost halfway and you'll find the specs on it......I was looking at the specs for the integrated graphics only, not the model of the computer
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

If steve is right , and I believe he almighty be. You should bump your RAM to min 768mb to have 512mb for system and the full 256mb for video. 1gb would be sweet but not neccessary. Accualy reducing the video RAM allocation to 128mb or even 64mb in the BIOS would be an inexpensive solution. And face it what does grandma need all that video for, Right?
Once you are online you need to download your Antivirus, firewall, and Antispyware first thing. Also any critical updates from Micrsoft.

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

If steve is right , and I believe he almighty be. You should bump your RAM to min 768mb to have 512mb for system and the full 256mb for video. 1gb would be sweet but not neccessary. Accualy reducing the video RAM allocation to 128mb or even 64mb in the BIOS would be an inexpensive solution. And face it what does grandma need all that video for, Right?
Once you are online you need to download your Antivirus, firewall, and Antispyware first thing. Also any critical updates from Micrsoft.

:thumbsup:

Great play on the name there! I actually did LOL at that one....made the wife ask what I was looking at on the internet..... :flowers:

Great point about the reducing the video ram too....that never even dawned on me until I read it in your post! And I believe that 128 mb ram will meet the requirements for most of (if not all of) todays popular games.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

AMD processors have a reputation of running hotter than Intels, and since the Compaq Presario 1719 is a laptop, heat will become critical.

See how much more it would take to get an Intel processor.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:23 AM

AMD processors have a reputation of running hotter than Intels, and since the Compaq Presario 1719 is a laptop, heat will become critical.

See how much more it would take to get an Intel processor.

Here I have to disagree with our esteemed Enthusiast. Back in AMD's K7 (ie Thunderbird, Athlon XP) days AMD ran hotter than Intel, but that was years ago. With AMD's K8 architecture AMD has been running much cooler than Intel on desktops and on par with Intel in laptops. That might all change when Conroe/Merom ("Pentium 5") comes out but that is still in the future.

Then, of course, AMD processors tend to be about $200 cheaper than the same class Intel processors.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#13 Lektrik

Lektrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all your help. You've all given me a fair bit to think about. I'm not sure I trust myself to bump up the RAM without frying something but I know someone who's more confident with that than me.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

If you can order the upgrade RAM with the computer, you have nothing to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users