Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player 11 Hates My Firefox

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zurenriri

Zurenriri

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm out of ideas on this one, I really need some help.

It all started when I upgraded to Flash Player 11.3. Flash objects such as videos on YouTube began to have screen errors, or would completely freeze up my browser (see pictures below). So I googled for some help, and I found a thread about a user with a similar problem, he was directed to revert to Flash Player 11.1.102.63. I did the same, and it worked, but then only older videos on YouTube would play. Newer videos (2011 and onward) would not load and Firefox would tell me I had a missing plug-in. So I finally gave in and went back to the current version (11.3.300.257) and I'm having the same issues again. This is only on Firefox. My Firefox version is 12.0, but it doesn't work any better on v14, I've already tried. Everything works fine in IE and Chrome.

Newer videos (apparently ones with the HTML5 player?) lock up my browser and give me this message:
(I wonder if there's a way to view that script and see what's on line 53 that's giving me these problems...)
Posted Image

Older videos play properly but the graphics go crazy if I scroll my mouse:
Posted Image

How the heck do I fix this?

Browser: Firefox 12.0
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250, Driver version 8.17.13.142 (5/15/2012)

****UPDATE****
I'm still running Flash Player 11.3 again (the latest version) and after clearing out my cache and all my cookies, I no longer get the unresponsive script errors. However I'm still getting the scrolling errors like in the 2nd picture. I'm afraid that if I go back to version 11.1 I'm going to be going back to the beginning and end up bringing all the errors and headaches back, so I'd like an expert's opinion as to what I should do now to fix the graphical errors.

Edited by Zurenriri, 18 July 2012 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Tested in Safe-mode FF <_<? I see on the pictures that you use plugins so testing just default would make a more fair look on the problem

Im using Flash 11.3.300.270 or something btw

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Latest FF version is 15 and FF flash plugin is 11.4, please try using the latest and see the difference. I realized this was a 3 months old thread...

Edited by jhayz, 07 October 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Tekken

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Latest FF version is 15 and FF flash plugin is 11.4, please try using the latest and see the difference. I realized this was a 3 months old thread...

Regardless of thread age, I wanted to state for the record that IMEeven the "latest" Flash & Firefox are not too, shall we say "fond" of each other ...YMMV.

I've tried almost all the "fixes" suggested @ Adobe Help Forums--disable "protected mode" , clean install... I even found a way to disable completely the plugin-container (thru environment variables) and they still didn't play nicey nicey. Occasional bouts of freezing, "not responding" & crashes. :whistle:
ETA: Also annoying FFox loss of focus for no apparent reason :angry:

Switching to Chrome and/or Opera in 5...4...3...

Edited by Union_Thug, 08 October 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Union_Thug.....Just saw this and thought you might be interested in it....Waterfox.
It was suggested to try from here: Adobe Community: Adobe Flash 11.4.402.265 not working with Firefox Windows 7-64 bit

Waterfox - Home
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

TY buddy215, will give it a try in VM. :busy:

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Never used this one, but might be an option just in case http://www.palemoon.org/

Tekken

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

In the speed tests results shown at the Waterfox site, Waterfox out performs Firefox and
Palemoon comes in third.

Also, noticed in FAQ that Waterfox will fetch and install bookmarks from your Firefox.
In the FAQ, instruction is given for removing the AVG Toolbar. So be on the lookout during
installation of Waterfox to prevent the install of the unwanted crapware...AVG Toolbar.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thx again guys, good info.

Side note: Updated to latest Flash updated today & upon installation the verification page which opens automatically....wait for it.....froze. :wacko:
You really can't make this stuff up.:whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 08 October 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Union_Thug....After wasting an hour cruising the Flash forums it is clear to me what the solution is
for any given day for the problem you and unknown number of other users are having.
Go to your local computer store and test computers until you find one that today's flash player
and today's Firefox play well together. Of course, you may have to do that all over again next week.
Or the computer you are now using may suddenly work.

EDIT: Firefox 16 final release is tomorrow...10/ 09/ 2012

Edited by buddy215, 08 October 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Union_Thug....After wasting an hour cruising the Flash forums it is clear to me what the solution is
for any given day for the problem you and unknown number of other users are having.
Go to your local computer store and test computers until you find one that today's flash player
and today's Firefox play well together. Of course, you may have to do that all over again next week.
Or the computer you are now using may suddenly work.

EDIT: Firefox 16 final release is tomorrow...10/ 09/ 2012

...or switch to Chrome like I just did. Posted Image Last straw was FFox sync got FUBARed & trying to reset/delete/repair was an excercise in ever expanding concentric circles, last time I had a problem w/sync took 3 mos to fix.

1st extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/support/dheionainndbbpoacpnopgmnihkcmnkl#bug
Now to find something to block Photobucket & MediaFire ads...

but I digress

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 October 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Adblock Plus works in Chrome. Here is a link to their known issues in Chrome.
Known issues in Adblock Plus for Google Chrome

If that's all of the known issues, looks good to go to use Adblock Plus.

NoScript isn't allowed. But there are addons that Chrome does allow that does block
some scripting. But they ain't NoScript.....
Chrome Web Store - ScriptNo
Chrome Web Store - NotScripts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users