Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cannot Configure Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 capnmaxx

capnmaxx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm running XP on a Dell desktop and have been using a secure wireless connection from a neighbor's modem. My computer would show several wireless networks available until a few weeks ago and now only shows the "Windows Cannot Configure..." message. However, it is connected wirelessly right now to another neighbor's unprotected wireless.
I have gone through the procedure to check the box on the Wireless Networks page to "Have Windows Control" the wireless, but the box is unchecked the next time I go to it.
The only thing I did recently was to download Picasa, that could have been the last I did before this condition.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

<<...it is connected wirelessly right now to another neighbor's unprotected wireless.>>

Are you saying that you have illegally connected to someone's wifi network...because your own network has problems?

Louis

#3 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Not at all, Louis, my neighbor is just a helpful friend that I haven't identified yet. I wish you had the knowledge to share that would allow me to get back on the secure line that I am paying for.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well...I don't do wireless anything...but...what are the possible variables between your connection and your neighbor's?

It's (obviously) not Windows itself or the hardware or the drivers...since all works on a different connection.

Seems to me it would not hurt to set your own connection up anew...but that's just guesswork on my part.

Louis

#5 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

It is puzzling; there used to be a list of wireless networks available but now I only get the "Cannot connect" message in its place. Then it connects to the one I don't really want. Yes, perhaps I should just re- institue the wireless.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

Maybe you should need to remove all network profiles form you wireless connection. Windows cannot configure might mean a loss or poor signal when connecting to the intended network. Read from this link also if it helps you improve your connection problem.

Tekken

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

it maybe that the router you are connecting to needs to be reset ,i use delink router here in my house and from time to time lose my connection and have to go to router and hit button on side or remove power from router to get reconnected
try this first ,go to control panel ,network and sharing center, click on manage wireless, and remove auto connect

Edited by caperjac, 20 July 2012 - 06:21 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for that link; I believe that will be the ticket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users