Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my Dell XPS 630

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tennis18

Tennis18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

This computer is now almost 3 years old and I think needs an upgrade. I am thinking on maxing out my ram to 8 gigs ddr2 (As that is the max this mobo will support) and getting a new video card. My biggest question is about my video card, I have x2 nvideo 9800 gt, but one of them is fried, so I am only running off 1. I am not sure if money would be better spent getting a better single card, or going with the dual card again. Don't really have any hard limits on money spending, just looking for a good deal to upgrade my system to support newer games.

Here is my system specs:

Case: Dell XPS 630i
RAM: 4gbs ddr2
Video card: x2 9800gt 512ram
Power supply: 750 watts
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU - E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Motherboard: acpi x64-based pc
Operating System: Windows 7

Please let me know if there are any questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

According to the Dell manual, you could upgrade your CPU to a Core 2 Quad like this. Your better off with a single gpu as with dual gpu it could cause some bottleneck because of the current CPU. The GTX680 is currently the fastest single gpu solution on the market and you would definitely would see a huge performance increase in your games. I would go with the upgrade to 8GB of ram for the sake's of it and there is a few games out there that can tax all of the 4GB of ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Tennis18

Tennis18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

My motherboard won't support a 680, that is pci 3. Mine is a pci 2. I was thinking about the geforce 480. It seems like an excellent bang for the buck.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

You can run a 680 just fine. PCIE 3.0 is completely compatable with 2.0. The GTX480 is a mediocre card by any modern standard, but if you need a space heater, I suppose it would suffice.

If "Don't really have any hard limits on money spending" is true, then it might be time for a complete revamp of your system. It is a night and day difference from any C2D or quad to the latest i7.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi Tennis18,

My name is Saurabhl.

As correctly suggested by killerx525, the computer is upgradable to a quad-core processor. Please click this link to see the comparison between the processor currently installed and the one with the possible upgrade: http://ark.intel.com/compare/33924,33910

Also the dilemma of using dual graphic cards when compared with using a single card can be best determined by the kind of games that you intend to play.

I would again back killerx525’s opinion about using dual graphics only with a quad-core processor to extract maximum mileage out of the system. If you intend to continue using with the existing processor, upgrading with a powerful single GPU should be just fine. The system requirement (processor / graphic capability / memory) needed by the computer games that you want to play, still needs to be checked before you take a call.

GTX680 would any day be a better choice than GTX480. Please click the following links to draw a comparison between the two:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680/specifications
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-480/specifications

The GTX680 card is backward compatible. So, it will work perfectly fine even with PCIE 2.

4GB is the maximum amount of RAM that can be loaded on XPS 630i. However, would also agree with the fact that majority of the games don’t really make full use of even 4GB RAM in the system. So, it wouldn’t really matter.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 06:50 AM.
Revealed links and removed spammy content. ~ OB

#6 MonkeyIsland

MonkeyIsland

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

XPS 630i Has a memory limit of 8 GB of the XPS 630 has a limit of 4GB.

The 680 is a great graphics card but, on a computer using a PCI EXPRESS 2 x16 will run into limits.

Based on in game benchmarks the performance will be limited by the encoding of the PCI EXPRESS 2 that uses 20% of the bandwidth limiting it from 5 GT/s to 4 GT/s.

The 680 will reach far past that limit and be held back considerable giving that it was designed for the PCI EXPRESS 3 and with expecting to run with a limit of 10 GT/s with no overhead.

The limit it reaches on tests and in real life game use. Will limit your experience.

The 480 runs to the limits of 4 GT/s. There is no point in running into a bottle neck.

OR worse spending money on a good card and being limited in how much performance you get.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

XPS 630i Has a memory limit of 8 GB of the XPS 630 has a limit of 4GB.

The 680 is a great graphics card but, on a computer using a PCI EXPRESS 2 x16 will run into limits.

Based on in game benchmarks the performance will be limited by the encoding of the PCI EXPRESS 2 that uses 20% of the bandwidth limiting it from 5 GT/s to 4 GT/s.

The 680 will reach far past that limit and be held back considerable giving that it was designed for the PCI EXPRESS 3 and with expecting to run with a limit of 10 GT/s with no overhead.

The limit it reaches on tests and in real life game use. Will limit your experience.

The 480 runs to the limits of 4 GT/s. There is no point in running into a bottle neck.

OR worse spending money on a good card and being limited in how much performance you get.

So, where do you get your info from?

Brent did a nice writeup last week. Worth a look.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/2

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users