Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A suggestion about security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickP94

PatrickP94

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Mod Edit: Moved from Win7 to more appropriate forum.~~ boopme

Hi, I'm Patrick.

I recently got hacked on my laptop, I don't know how, I don't know why.
I had went on to a game I play on my leisure time & I encountered that there was words I had not typed.
I became very very paranoid & I completely wiped out my HDD, and anything that was on my computer.
I figured if it was a hacker it would only be through my computer, not through my IP because I am using my other laptop.

I'm on here on behalf that someone could tell me what is the best way to secure my computer without having to pay too much, or nothing at all.
I want to up my security a bit, I do have Norton Anti-Virus, but I think that's not doing me well.

I'm in need of assistance, and it would be of great help if someone could assist me.

Thanks,
Pat

Edited by boopme, 18 July 2012 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hello and Welcome -

If you are not happy with your Norton program, there are many other good Free Antivirus programs available to use -
This link is to Microsoft Security Essentials and always a good place to start >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=231274
You should also have an AntiMalware program like Malwarebytes Free or SuperantiSpyware Free installed to clean any infections -

You would need to use the Norton Removal tool, Full Instructions below >>

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
If you have pcAnywhere or WinFAX, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products.

1.Download the Norton Removal Tool.
Save the file to the Windows desktop.
DOWNLOAD
2.On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.
3.Follow the on-screen instructions.
4.Restart the computer.

Your computer may be restarted more than once, and you are provided the instructions on how to reinstall your Norton product. After you reinstall your Norton product, run LiveUpdate and install all the available updates. Run LiveUpdate again until there are no updates available, and then restart the computer.

Please ask for any more help if you require it -

Regards -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

what is the best way to secure my computer without having to pay too much

That is a common question asked by many members so you may want to read Answers to common security questions - Best Practices.

I do have Norton Anti-Virus, but I think that's not doing me well.

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved the newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

As noknojon notes, MSE along with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware is a very good alternative combination. If you scroll down in the topic link I provided above, there is more information on choosing a free alternative anti-virus program and supplementing it with other security tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users