Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help-I can't delete Avira anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Untechsavvyblogger

Untechsavvyblogger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I have Avira free anti-virus. I don't want it anymore (trying to switch to Malwarebytes, which seems to be preferred among folks here.

I deleted the shortcut from my laptop, then went to add/remove programs and deleted Avira there as well. The problem is that it's still here! I'm running Windows 7 and in the bottom right bar of my computer (near the clock) I still have the Avira icon and the program is still running. I've heard that it's not advisable to run more than one anti-virus program at a time, so I want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Help, please. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hello and welcome. You needed to turn iy off first before deleting anything.

Try running AppRemover

You may wind up reinstalling Avira and then uninstalling.

Malwarebytes is not an Antivirus its an antimalware. What is the difference between AntiVirus and AntiSpyware?

Now I do use both Avira and MBAm together. Better to hav an AV and an AM together.

That said if you want to changs your AV ...
Download the new one to your desktop.
Uninstall the old.
Reboot the machine.
Install,update and scan.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

If you have already installed another A/virus program, it is OK to still use this uninstaller -

http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/regcleaner/win32/en/avira_registry_cleaner_en.zip
The Zip file above is the best Avira removal tool that I can find - Download it to Desktop first -
Next remove the entry(s) to Avira AntiVir in Add / Remove or Programs and Features, Reboot, and open the Zip file.
Then run the uninstaller package that you will find inside.

Please ask if you need further help - :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users