Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Removing .bak Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lee_29

lee_29

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hello,

Not long ago I ran a search for all .bak files on my hard drive. Thousands of these files appeared but as I tried to delete them, I was unable to. I'm sorry, I forget what the error message said, but I was somehow blocked from deleting them.

After this, I have done the same search (typing *.bak into Windows search) and now no files of that type appear... not one.

I know there are possibly tens of thousands of these and are taking up valuable, valuable space on my hard drive.

Can someone help me locate and remove these files?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lee_29

lee_29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I just searched again, removing the asterisk from *.bak. I typed in .bak and now I'm getting search results. But when I try to delete, it says:

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

Frustrating.

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

What is the location of the files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users