Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malware removal help, please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 jwm4

jwm4

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 OS; machine used as a workstation and development server, not as a production server
Malware protection in place - SuperAntiSpyware Pro with real time protection enabled
Antivirus - none; use Office 365 and Google for all mail accounts
Firewall - Netopia DSL Modem/Router/Firewall provided by ATT with Internet service

OS issues that alerted me to presence of malware:
1. continual popup of the right click menu without any user input requesting it, to the point of virtually disabling use of computer
2. ALT TAB invocation of Windows App Switcher provided only a brief glimmer/flicker of the App Switch window, which then disappeared - unusable.

Actions taken:
Have run TDDSKiller, Malwaybytes, SAS, Kapersky and other anti-malware tools to no avail. Only Comodo Cleaning Essential has identified a rootkit, although it identified other false negatives, so I take it with a grain of salt. Have that log if you want it. It did, however, quarantine the two rootkit files and the disruptions to my computer have ceased. Nevertheless, I want to obtain complete assurance that all malware has been permanently removed, hence this post. Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim

Prep work completed:
1. backup data - always done
2. slow computer - n/a
3. create bleeping computer acct - done
4. enable topic reply - done
5. enable firewall - always done
6. download/run defogger - done
7. download/run dds.scr - done, dds.txt and attach.txt logs attached
8. download/run gmer.exe - done, gmer.log attached
9. create topic here and upload logs - done
10. wait for response - in process

Edited by jwm4, 18 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,743 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/461303 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

In response to your bot's request for additional info, all of it is provided in my initial post.

I am attaching a newly run copy of the DDS logs, however, I can't get a new GMER log. I have tried twice, but both times it took 8+ hours to run while consuming 90%+ of my CPU capacity. Both times it ultimately hung the machine. I have to use it now to do work, so I can't afford to let GMER run right now.

The right click popup issue is beginning to reappear in Excel. It's useless right now. Not a problem yet in browsers or Outlook, but this is this same manner in which it appeared last week. Please provide help asap!

Thanks!

PS - I'm running GMER with a lowered priority, so it doesn't consume my CPU, but I don't know how long its going to take to finish. Seems very slow.

Edited by jwm4, 24 July 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

m0le,

I'm here and ready to work. Let me know what to do next.

Tx,
Jim

#6 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Latest gmer log - it just finished.

Ready and willing whenever you are. I'm typically up late - at least until 2:00 am, possibly later. Standing by...

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Gmer shows some files from the ZeroAccess rootkit still here and so I would like to know if you have the log details from Comodo before we continue.
Posted Image

#8 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Here's the last log file from Comodo.

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Comodo couldn't remove it.

Please run Combofix - which should

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop making sure you rename it comfix.exe
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications including Firewalls, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Comfix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Posted Image

#10 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Combofix produces an error message, saying that it can't run on servers. This is a windows server 2003 OS. The machine only performs a few server functions (domain controller, dns, dhcp). Otherwise, it's used as a workstation.

Is there a server version of combofix?

#11 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ran a search for combofix for windows server 2003; it doesn't appear that there is one. If that's true (I'm sure you will know or have access to someone who does), what's the next best alternative? As an fyi, I would deem myself a very advanced user - I manage windows and linux servers, know the basics of shell access, write simple bash scripts, etc. I have the entire suite of Sysinternals tools downloaded, if we need them, as well as other's such as Unlocker, which unlocks files locked by running processes. Again, just an fyi...you are the teacher and I am the student in this endeavor.

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

No there isn't and that means we have to remove this manually.

First please run OTL, which is a scanner much like DDS

We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Posted Image

#13 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Here's the OTL.txt file. Forum software will not let me upload other one at the same time - says file too large (only 120K). Will try from another reply.

#14 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nope - message says that I have used 42i.9 k of 521 global upload quota - max single file size is 90k. The extras.txt file is 120+k. Please advise - I guess i could zip it, if zips are allowed?

#15 jwm4

jwm4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Zipped and loaded!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users