Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 bukitcho

bukitcho

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I just recently fixed my laptop a while back ago, and now I am having problems again.

I was drawing on my laptop and I received an update for Flash Player. Well, I started to update and as soon as I clicked start, I went back to drawing.

30 seconds later, with no warning whatsoever, My computer was closing all my programs, and restarted itself with out a prompt. However, when it did reboot, I got a message saying Invalid Partition Table.

So, i was like wtf, like any person. I tried rebooting and going into safe mode. It wouldn't let me. AT ALL. The f8 function does not work. actually the only functions that do work is f2 for setup and f12 for boot options, which dont really help right now.

I cannot access anything, not even startup repair. I do not have a Windows 7 disc because neither of my computers came with one.

What can I do to fix this? Is there a way I can fix it without losing my stuff stored on it?

Its a Dell Insperon with Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Let's have a look at the MBR (MasterBootRecord).

Please try the following: You will need a USB drive/flashdrive and a new blank writable CD.

:step1: Please do the following on a working computer:
  • Download GETxPUD.exe to the Desktop.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
    A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
You will use this CD to boot the ailing computer from.

:step2: Boot the ailing computer with the xPUD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
    A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
    • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
    • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to a USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?).
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following at the hash prompt:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
      • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
      • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
      • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
      • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
      • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
        It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
  • Press the <ENTER> key.
    After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin.
  • Go to Home > Power Off > Turn Off and remove the flashdrive as the system shuts down.

:step3: On the working computer:
  • Insert the USB drive, and navigate to the file mbr.bin
  • Zip-up the mbr.bin file:
    • Right-click on the file and choose Send to .. > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      A zipped folder will appear in the same location as the mbr.bin file.
  • Please attach the zipped file to your next reply.
    This will allow the MasterBootRecord of your hard drive to be checked to see whether or not it is infected &/or damaged.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 bukitcho

bukitcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

sooooo, I finally got the discs to do this, and well.

It didn't work. I followed the instructions carefully and when I went to boot off the CD, it didn't work. It went to the language selection and I selected english. It stayed on that screen for a while, then instead of continuing it went to the flashing white line screen and started reading off stuff. I'm attaching a photo of it, its not the entire thing because it couldn't fit everything it was saying onto the screen, but I got most of it.

Does this mean this computer is just gone? or is there another way of fixing it?

Attached Files

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi

We can try a different boot CD.

Download the PartedMagic ISO for your computer (you probably need the one labeled "Most people will only need this file") ask me if you aren't sure.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

Decide whether you want to boot from a CD or a USB Flash Drive and follow the appropriate directions below.

Instructions for making a Boot CD
Download and install Infrarecorder
http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5
and place a blank CD in your CD writer then run Infrarecorder
Click WRITE IMAGE
Navigate to the PartedMagic ISO that you downloaded and click the OPEN button
Click the OK button and it should burn your CD. When it is done it will automatically eject the CD and you can close Infrarecorder, you can now use this CD to boot your computer.

Instructions for making a Bootable USB Flash Drive
Follow the instructions here for UNetbootin (the download buttons for UNetbootin are at the top of the page) and select DISK IMAGE and navigate to the PartedMagic ISO that you downloaded. Pay very close attention to the USB flash drive that you select to write to in order not to overwrite data on the wrong device by accident.

Instructions Booting From The CD or The USB Flash Drive
Press the F12 key when you turn the computer on in order to choose the boot device containing PartedMagic.

When you boot the computer that has the bad drive connected to it with the PartedMagic CD/USB that you made a menu will pop up, please select
1. Default Settings (Runs from RAM)

When it finishes booting you will notice that it looks kind of like a Windows desktop. The button in the lower left works like the START button in Windows XP and allows you to select and run various programs or shutdown the computer. To make things easy, I'll just refer to this as the START button.

At the bottom of the screen near the START button you will see a picture of a computer monitor. Click it to open a terminal window. In the terminal window type
fdisk -l
(that is fdisk SPACE DASH l as in Linux) and press ENTER
I want to see the information that it prints out. Take a picture like you did in the previous post. As long as the text is legible, it will be fine.

If you have any questions, let me know.
James

#5 bukitcho

bukitcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I followed the instructions and Got to the point where I should select "Default Settings (Runs from RAM)" and well....

it went to the black screen with the flashing line and began reading off stuff as well. But it never went to the screen that you said would pop up. It just stayed on that screen. I'm attaching another photo of it, and as before, all of it couldn't fit on the screen.

Attached Files

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi

The Puppy and PartedMagic errors indicate an error with the laptop's memory (sometimes that Puppy error is for an incompatible video chipset so we didn't know until you tried PartedMagic). You can try removing the memory and putting it back in and/or running the Dell diagnostics that should be built into that laptop to see if it finds memory errors.(usually it is an option in the <f12> boot menu, look in your manual for running diagnostics from boot)

We were looking at the disks because you said that it had an "Invalid Partition Table" error which would be a disk problem but when I just looked at your post history, I found that you've got some unfinished repairs in this thread...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458150.html

You probably should continue in that thread first since it was about potential problems with the partition table, malware infections and boot errors. You can link to this topic so they can see what happened here.

James

#7 bukitcho

bukitcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

All that needed to be done in that post was to check the MBR again after it was working again because they were wondering why it said I was operating XP when I was operating Windows 7.

And besides, What they want me to do is what you are wanting me to do: look at the MBR. And the way they are wanting me to do it wont work. I went back to that thread first before even posting this one. The way that they are telling me to access requires me to use F8, which stated earlier, doesn't work anymore.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

In that case, no. Lets check that MBR once again.

Download aswMBR ( 4.5 mb ) to your desktop.

• Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • If you can have an open Internet connection, allow it to download the latest Avast engine detections.
  • If avast! antivirus is already installed, just do the next step.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

In addition, aswMBR will produce a copy of the boot sector, MBR.dat, on your desktop. Upload that file here.

Above is taken from your topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum, which is still open.

Forum protocol calls for attempted resolution of malware issues...before a member can bring up issues which may be ancillary to the fact that the system is infected...in another forum here at BC.

I am closing this topic...and urge you to respond to your malware topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458150.html/page__p__2740756#entry2740756 .

Once that topic is resolved or closed, you may then either begin a more current topic about what issues you may be experiencing...or you can PM me and I will reopen this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users